Chelsea Lucas building on past experiences (OH)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Chelsea Lucas building on past experiences (OH)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:30 am

http://www.limaohio.com/articles/buildi ... lucas.html

Shawnee pole vaulter Lucas building on past experiences
Comments | Recommend
April 14, 2009 - 7:45 PM
Mark Altstaetter

SHAWNEE TOWNSHIP - Rarely does an injury in one sport open the door to another, but that was the case with Chelsea Lucas.

When Lucas got hurt participating in gymnastics in middle school, she quickly found another sport to turn her attention to: Track and field, specifically the pole vault.

Lucas, a sophomore at Wapakoneta last year, finished ninth in the pole vault at last year's state track and field meet.

Lucas, now a junior at Shawnee, said her gymnastics background from years ago is the cornerstone for her training in the pole vault.

"I got hurt doing gymnastics, so I started pole vaulting in junior high," she said. "I've been pole vaulting ever since.

"I wouldn't be where I'm at without my gymnastics background. It really helps me in the pole vault."

Lucas also excels in diving. She finished second at this past winter's Division II state diving championships in Canton. Last year at Wapakoneta, Lucas finished 17th in the Division I competition.

Lucas said it's difficult to choose between the two sports.

"I would really like to vault at a big college," Lucas said. "I don't want to count out diving, but I really want to vault in college."

At this past weekend's Ehresman Memorial Invitational, Lucas broke the meet record in the pole vault by clearing 10 feet. Her personal-best vault is 11-6, which she set at Perry earlier this season.

Lucas said she has her sights set high this season. At last year's state meet, she cleared 11-4, which was her personal best until the performance at Perry this spring.

"My goal, last year, was to get on the podium," she said. "I don't want to set a limit on high I can go, but I really want to get up there. I have some pretty big goals."

Lucas said she tries to hone her skills as much as possible during the offseason.

"I have a pit at home," she said. "I work on my form and speedwork. I do sometimes vault with a guy in Columbus."

When Lucas made it to last year's state meet, she was not the only Wapakoneta vaulter down in Columbus. Lucas' teammate, Hannah Tabler (who was a senior) finished sixth in that event.

Longtime Shawnee track coach Russ Holly said Lucas came to Shawnee with a great deal of knowledge of her specialty.

"Chelsea, coming from Wapakoneta, had some very good coaching from Mark Cook (Wapakoneta coach) and those guys," Holly said. "She's working hard now and is striving to get back to the ‘Big Time' in Columbus."

Lucas said competing in the two sports that she loves can be both rewarding and challenging.

"I really love doing both of them," Lucas said. "But, it's really tough balancing the two."

Return to “Heartland Region”