Brittany Linkous Vaults To The Top (TN)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Brittany Linkous Vaults To The Top (TN)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:13 pm

http://www.tricities.com/tri/sports/hig ... top/23329/

Tennessee High’s Linkous Vaults To The Top

Bristol Herald Courier

By BRIAN T. SMITH
Assistant Sports Editor / Bristol Herald Courier
Published: April 23, 2009

KINGSPORT, Tenn. – Tennessee High Vikings pole vaulter Brittany Linkous wanted to give it a try. Linkous had already cleared nine feet, tying a personal record and winning her event during the Big Nine Track and Field Championships on Thursday afternoon at Dobyns-Bennett High School.

But Linkous wanted more, so she gave it a shot. Two tries later, two pushed-over poles. Nine feet it was. But Linkous had made her mark. And the Tennessee High junior had secured another strong showing as she vaults toward a repeat appearance in the state tournament.

“Our motto this year is ‘Don’t think, just do,’ ” Linkous said.

Linkous is doing just that, and she said a return trip to state and topping the Vikings’ school pole-vault record of nine feet, six inches are her two primary goals this year.

Tennessee High pole vault coach Amanda Carroll said Linkous is well on her way to both.

“I think she can be really good,” Carroll said. “She really wants to do well and she’s at practice every day. She always [says], ‘I want to go higher.’ ”

Carroll predicted Linkous could hit the 10-foot mark as a senior. Linkous wants even more: She’s shooting for 11.

Linkous started vaulting after flipping through a family photo album and discovering her father participated in the sport when he was in high school. Now, Linkous has devoted her high school athletic career solely to pole vaulting. She finished eighth in the 2008 state tournament. And she thinks a top-three finish is possible before she graduates.

“It’s basically just dedication and hard work,” Linkous said.

Return to “Heartland Region”