Lakeview athletes giving pole vault a try (OH)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Lakeview athletes giving pole vault a try (OH)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat May 02, 2009 10:45 am

The picture that comes with the article (click the link) makes me want to cry :crying:

http://www.tribtoday.com/page/content.d ... l?nav=5024

Lakeview athletes giving pole vault a try
By JOHN VARGO Tribune Chronicle
POSTED: May 2, 2009 Save | Print | Email | Read comments | Post a comment
Article Photos

Tribune Chronicle / John Vargo
Lakeview’s Cameron Beebe works on his pole vault as coach Tom Preisse watches.

Advertisement

Cameron Beebe doesn't like following the crowd. The path less traveled is the one Beebe takes.

Beebe, a sophomore, is one of six Lakeview High School students competing in the pole vault at today's Lakeview Invitational. The field events, like the pole vault, begin at 9:30 a.m., while the running begins at 10 a.m. at Don Richards Field in Cortland.

"I always high jumped in track and I just wanted to go higher. I thought it would be kind of cool," Beebe said. "The coach said it was real big in Europe. I looked it up on YouTube the one day and it was really cool looking. I've always been interested in weird things. I'm in fencing too. It's a different sport. Not many people do it, here."

However, it isn't as easy as grabbing a pole, going down a runway and attempting to vault oneself over a bar. It's a matter of knowing how to do the sport properly.

Enter Tom Preisse, a first-year Lakeview High School history teacher. He is certified by the Ohio High School Athletic Association as a pole vault coach. Preisse coached at Cuyahoga Falls High School last season.

Right now, Beebe, sophomore Toma Leveto, sophomore Aaron Huston, senior Michael Graham, sophomore Kaitlyn Tonkovich and junior Jen Ulam are working on their technique. Worrying about how high they'll go is something to ponder for next season.

"We're trying to focus and stress safety out here," Preisse said. "It's really a matter of applying what they've learned from square one and make them focus on the basics they've learned earlier in the season and try to stick to those. Ultimately, those are what's going to provide them with a safe jump. Once they try to go too far, too fast and put too much stress on them saying they have to clear certain heights, that's when they're going to get hurt."

Lakeview girls track and field coach Diane Neighbarger said she was concerned about the safety aspect as well.

"He (Preisse) goes over a lot of technique and drills before they're allow to jump. I know the kids are getting antsy to jump, which is good. But, they're getting all that technique down so there hopefully won't be any injuries. And, they feel really confident in what they're doing."

This is the first time girls have done the pole vault at Lakeview. However, the Bulldogs have had its share of prolific male vaulters. Trumbull County schools abandoned the sport anywhere from the 1980s to the mid 90s.

Lakeview boys track coach Mark Swinning said the Bulldogs had to go through the proper channels to reinstate the event.

"The principals and Athletic Director Mike DeToro talked to (superintendent) Bob Wilson," Swinning said. "He said, 'As long as they're not doing it for points and as long as we have a guy who has certification, which we do, and we have the proper equipment, go for it.' "

Lakeview still has some equipment for the event, but needed to replace some of the poles. The Lakeview Athletic Boosters bought four new poles.

"We might have the best athletic boosters around," Swinning said. "As long as they keep progressing and do it again next year, they would buy us more equipment.

"We didn't get everything because we wanted the kids to come back next year. We want to make sure this isn't a one-year thing."

Tonkovich said she plans to come back to this all-encompassing event next season.

"It's a lot mentally, physically, competitively. It's everything," she said. "I'll come back as long as I stick with it and do well."

Today, the six will find out how their weeks of preparation translate in live competition. In addition to today's invitational, they will compete at the Division II district meet in Andover.

"I think they're ready," Preisse said. "I think they'll see some heights even we'll be surprised with. I don't think it will be anything spectacular, but it's a learning curve for these kids out here."

Return to “Heartland Region”