Carroll seniors lift pole vaulting (IN)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Carroll seniors lift pole vaulting (IN)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:05 am

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/2 ... 008/SPORTS

Carroll seniors lift pole vaulting
Greg JonesHigh school sports editor

Cathie Rowand | The Journal Gazette
Carroll pole vaulters Brittany Austin, left, Rachel and Rebecca Richman have all cleared 10 feet; Austin and Rebecca Richman have cleared 11-0.

Pole vaulting is still a relatively new endeavor for female track athletes. The IHSAA has recognized it as an event for the last six years, but Carroll has already formed a pretty good tradition.

The newest talent includes seniors Brittany Austin and twins Rachel and Rebecca Richman. All three rank in the top 25 in the state, and Austin and Rebecca Richman were in the top 10 at last year’s state finals.

“We have always had good vaulters at Carroll, even with our guys,” Austin said. “We just kind of took over.”

Some schools have one, maybe two, decent vaulters, but the Chargers’ three girls have all cleared 10 feet with Austin and Rebecca Richman getting to 11-0.

“It gets us more points overall, and it is something to be recognized for,” Rachel Richman said.

All three paid homage to the work of Fort Wayne Vault Club co-operators Brian Kimball and Bob Shank.

“Coaching has a lot to do with our success,” Rachel Richman said. “Brian has been through it before, and he is just amazing.”

Kimball, the Carroll pole vault coach, helped develop his daughter Abby into a talented vaulter at Carroll a few years ago.

“Most schools don’t have (pole vaulting) coaches, and he coached his daughter,” Austin said. “He is just a really, really good coach. Working with him and Bob Shank year-round has helped us get to where we are today.”

Kimball said the number of girls giving pole vaulting a try is starting to outnumber the boys.

“It is one of the best things that has happened to the sport,” Kimball said of girls getting into pole vaulting. “You now have a big interest, across the state and across the nation, from girls’ participation. Schools already have the pits with the guys’ programs, so it has created a lot of excitement.

“You see girls who outgrow gymnastics, and vaulting seems to be a natural for those girls. The (Richman) twins are competitive with each other anyway, but we have created an environment in there that every week they are pushing each other.”

It began in middle school when Austin toyed around with pole vaulting, but didn’t get serious about it until the summer before her freshman year. During an English class, she worked to recruit the Richman sisters to also give it a try.

“(Austin) told us to come out, and we just got hooked,” Rebecca Richman said.

The three motivate each other and act as sounding boards when it comes to a part of the sport that is hard to master.

“We always have each other with the competition aspect, and we motivate each other,” Rebecca Richman said. “But also it is hard to tell what you are doing wrong because you can’t see it, but having Brittany and Rachel there definitely helps. The others are our eyes on the jumps in order to improve.”

With the postseason beginning today with the NHC meet, the three will be whittled down as only two participants are allowed from each school. That leaves Austin and Rebecca Richman left to keep up the tradition, but the feedback will be there from all three sides.

“It is definitely a thrill at first, but it takes some time to get the techniques down,” Rebecca Richman said of getting started in pole vaulting. “The hardest part is the mental aspect. There are so many different things that you have to think about from the moment you start your run until you finish and you are off the pit. There are so many things to think about to help you get over the bar.”

Potential high finishes in the state finals could await Austin and Rebecca.

“We have high goals for each other,” Rebecca said. “I think we can both clear 12-foot in good conditions and we are in a good mindset.”

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Carroll seniors lift pole vaulting (IN)

Unread postby dj » Sat May 23, 2009 8:37 am

hey

Brian Kimball....

hello from dj who recruited you as the best USA talent to come out of high school (at that time) since Tully and Bell.

and i got to coach Tully for 6 years in california after both you and I left Florida.

good to here your name still associated with the vault.

all the best

dj

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sat May 23, 2009 10:24 am

I dont know if Brian looks on here but i will relay the message!
pain is only temporary victory is forever

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sat May 23, 2009 2:23 pm

thanks.. Nitro

dj

Return to “Heartland Region”