Coach Joe Hammond passed away (OH)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Coach Joe Hammond passed away (OH)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:02 pm

http://www.vindy.com/news/2009/jul/05/p ... ?newswatch

Pole vault coach remembered with love

Joe Hammond, the pole vault coach of Austintown Fitch High School, passed away on June 20 after battling with pancreatic cancer. Joe was my pole vault coach, and he certainly knew pole vault. (We would constantly exclaim “Joe knows pole vault” after eating dinner at Joe’s Crab Shack with him during the 2002 State Meet where we saw “Joe knows crab” memorabilia everywhere).

Pole vaulting is a science, and Joe certainly was an expert. To be an above average vaulter, you must be extremely quick, perhaps the fastest on a track and field team, and you must drive your knee.

Though Joe scrutinized many other technicalities of the pole vault (planting high, initiating a turn, and throwing the pole) you would always hear him shout “Drive your knee, drive your knee.”

Joe had such a devout love for pole vaulting that he constructed a pole vaulting area in his backyard for when the pits were removed from the track in the summer. Though the pole vault pit was substituted with “donated” high jump mats, the runway was a dirt path, and the box was rusty, it was awesome.

In the fall, we would work on invert drills in his garage where he built an indescribable wooden contraption to practice them. In the winter, he would have practice at 5:30 in the morning before his 7-3 shift at the General Motors car plant where he installed the windshields on Chevy Cavaliers and Cobalts for 35 years. Of course, we would complain at the time, but in hindsight, I am certainly grateful for his commitment.

Joe was also the only person I know who could pole vault 12 feet at the age of 52. I’m thankful I had the opportunity to jump with him at an open meet at Kent State a year ago before the pancreatic cancer had spread. He kicked my butt.

You will be missed Joe.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Coach Joe Hammond passed away (OH)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:05 pm

http://www.tribtoday.com/page/content.d ... l?nav=5022

Joseph Hammond Jr. 1955-2009
POSTED: June 22, 2009

AUSTINTOWN - Joseph G. Hammond Jr., born April 7, 1955, made his transition Saturday, June 20, 2009.

He joins his son, Lawrence; sister, Char Davis; and nephew, Dow Davis Jr.

He will be greatly missed by his wife, Sue; and his children, Melissa (T.J.) Clymer, Rose, Joe and Dan Hammond; and granddaughters, Adrienne and Lylah Clymer. Joe also leaves his parents, Eileen and Joe Hammond; sisters, Jaqueline McMillan, Anne Remias and Eileen Mitchell; and brother, John Hammond.

Joe was loved by many family members, brothers- and sisters-in-law, nieces and nephews, and grandnieces and grandnephews, along with many dear friends.

Joe has touched many lives throughout the community. He was a pole vault coach for Austintown Fitch, Boardman Spartans and the Canfield Cardinals. A pole vault enthusiast, he vaulted right up to the time he was stricken with pancreatic cancer one year ago.

He enjoyed many hobbies, playing guitar, boating, fishing, hunting, gardening and riding his motorcycle.

He was an amazing spirit who always put others above himself. He was certainly an angel among men, and now is in heaven to continue watching over all of us.

Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday and from 10 to 11 a.m. Thursday in the Higgins-Reardon Funeral Home, Austintown Chapel. Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Thursday at the funeral home.

Memorial contributions may be made to Hospice of the Valley, or to www.carringbridge.com.

Visit www.higgins-reardon.com to view the obituary and to send condolences.

(

Return to “Heartland Region”