New to Indianapolis...

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

New to Indianapolis...

Unread postby Lax PV » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:09 am

Hey all--

I have recently moved from San Diego to Indianapolis (Brownsburg area) and am looking for a couple things. First and foremost, to get involved in the PV community one way or another out here. I don't know that I could be a full time coach or anything given my work schedule, but would like to assist if possible at a high school or college somewhere. I have both collegiate coaching and vaulting experience, and have worked many camps, but would like to really start to learn the ins and outs of coaching (the coaching has been assistant level, and mainly on the strength and conditioning side).

I am also looking for an indoor track somewhere that might have 'open gym' like hours. I am running on treadmills right now, but they don't go too fast and would like to be working on speed work (the fast 200m you can get out of it is ~35sec).

Does anyone have any contact info, or know of anyone around here that might? Feel free to PM or just respond to the forum.

Thanks much in advance!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: New to Indianapolis...

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:50 am

As best I can tell, none of the colleges _in_ Indianapolis have indoor tracks, so you'll either have to drive (possibly quite a distance, most schools with indoor tracks are not open to the public ever, or only weird hours), or get used to running outside in the cold.

I would start with talking to Collin Gayde, he has a club in Indianapolis: http://www.polevaultelite.com/

I am sure you could find a high school that would LOVE to have a pole vault coach.

As far as colleges, University of Indianapolis had pole vaulters last year, so they might be in the market for some volunteer help (though really it's getting rather late to be offering that sort of thing for 2011, but it's worth a try). Marian College had one token guy vaulter, so they probably don't have a coach at all (or facilities). Butler only had a few token field event athletes, no vaulters. IUPUI doesn't really have a track team, just distance.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Re: New to Indianapolis...

Unread postby Lax PV » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Sweet! I was searching PV Clubs in Indy and was unable to find anything...thanks for the help/info! :yes:

Return to “Heartland Region”