Coaching in Columbus, OH

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Coaching in Columbus, OH

Unread postby Lax PV » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:31 am

Is anyone out there looking for coaching help in Columbus, OH? New to the area, would like to get into coaching--I live in Hilliard, but I work in Gahanna area, so I am not too concerned about the location of the school.

Feel free to PM me if you know of anything--thanks.

-Andrew

tweed2381
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Coaching in Columbus, OH

Unread postby tweed2381 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi - Ohio State may have interest. Could you please contact me at 614-736-0320?

thank you, fredb

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:11 am

Are you indicating that Ohio State does not already have a top line vault coach?
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

tweed2381
PV Newbie

Unread postby tweed2381 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Lax PV wrote:Is anyone out there looking for coaching help in Columbus, OH? New to the area, would like to get into coaching--I live in Hilliard, but I work in Gahanna area, so I am not too concerned about the location of the school.

Feel free to PM me if you know of anything--thanks.

-Andrew

Ohio State is looking for a vault coach for women. Are you interested in a volunteer position with us? Call me at 614-736-0320 fred barends

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:55 pm

"Ohio State is looking for a vault coach for women. Are you interested in a volunteer position with us?"

Be interested to learn what the budget is for the football program at Ohio State!!!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:19 pm

altius wrote:"Ohio State is looking for a vault coach for women. Are you interested in a volunteer position with us?"

Be interested to learn what the budget is for the football program at Ohio State!!!!

NCAA rules limit the number of track coaches a program can have on staff. They can have an additional coach if they are a volunteer for pole vault only. This is why any paid college pole vault coach is also coaching other events.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:22 pm

And what are the limits on the football staff?

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:49 am

altius wrote:And what are the limits on the football staff?

11.7.2 Bowl subdivision Football. [FBs] There shall be a limit of one head coach, nine assistant coaches
and four graduate assistant coaches who may be employed by an institution in bowl subdivision football.

*Service academies get 4 more coaches if they chose

Track and field is allowed 6 paid coaches and as many as 7 volunteers as long as one is a pole vault coach, however, without the pole vault coach they get 6 volunteers.

11.7.4.2.3.3 Volunteer Coach—Cross Country/Track and Field. An institution that sponsors
cross country, indoor track and field, or outdoor track and field as separate sports may use the services
of one volunteer coach for each of the sports that it sponsors. Each volunteer coach may coach studentathletes in any of the three sports throughout the academic year. (Adopted: 4/27/00 effective 8/1/00)
11.7.4.2.3.4 Volunteer Coach—Track and Field—Pole Vault. An institution that competes in
pole vault may use the services of one additional volunteer coach (to coach both genders), limited to
coaching pole vault. (Adopted: 1/12/04)

All sports can have undergraduate coaches as well:

11.7.4.2.2 Undergraduate Student Assistant Coach. An institution may employ undergraduate
student assistant coaches (see Bylaw 11.01.4). The limit on the number of undergraduate student assistant

So to sum it up.

Football gets as many as 20 paid coaches in total (counting paid students graduate/undergraduate coaches). Volunteers allowed.

Track and field gets 12 paid coaches in total (counting paid students graduate/undergraduate coaches). 7 Volunteers allowed

So theoretically football could have 20 coaches while track and field could have 19, just 7 of the track and field coaches are not paid.

Realistically though most football programs will use most of those 20 allowed payed football coaches. While well funded track and field programs will have the 6 paid coaches, 3 or 4 volunteers, and maybe 1 or 2 graduate assistants.

Return to “Heartland Region”