Alec Rice Article

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Alec Rice Article

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:42 pm

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD= ... =461&rfi=9

Alec Rice, Indiana High School Senior, Track and field

The Indiana track and field teams have competed in seven meets to date, and the athletes have plenty of time to perfect their techniques and improve their results.

For senior pole vaulter Alec Rice, that improvement could be a scary thing.

In last Friday's tri-meet with Norwin and Penn-Trafford, Rice broke the Indiana High School record with a vault of 14 feet, 7 inches, beating his own personal best by more than a half-foot.

Seth Brody and Tae-Sung Park shared the previous record of 14-6, with Park's vault securing a state championship in 1990.

Rice, who took up the pole vault in eighth grade, has been perfect on the season thus far, posting seven first-place finishes in the event.

Here's a look at Alec Rice, the Indiana Gazette Athlete of the week:

Parents: Jim and Heather Rice

Brothers and sisters: Jeff, 22; Dorah, 28; and Emily, 20

Favorite subject: Math with Mr. Cochran

Hobbies: Camping and hiking

Pet: A dog named Toby

Favorite food: Chicken parmesean

Favorite movie: Forrest Gump

Favorite musical artist: Damien Rice

Favorite sport: The pole vault, because it's challenging and loads of fun.

What do you do to get ready for a meet? Change, and mentally prepare by intense meditation where I find my chi.

Three things you like about coach Steve Cochran: He's very knowledgeable about loads of things; he's one of my heroes; and he's able to have a good time in the midst of the pressures of meets.

Are there any other events you would like to compete in? The triple jump, so I can beat my brother's best jump.

What is the hardest aspect of the pole vault? What do you try to focus on and how do you remain focused? The hardest part is my approach to the jump. I try to focus on my technique and not on the height of the bar. I stay focused by listening to psychological self-help tapes and meditation.

How much time do you spend practicing the pole vault? Is there anything you do to work on the event when you're away from the track? I spend quite a bit of time vaulting, especially at home where I drill in my yard.

You also compete in soccer and wrestling. Do you have any plans to continue either of those sports at the collegiate level? The pole vault at IUP.

Have you set any other personal goals for yourself this season? To do well at the state meet.

What is the one food in the cafeteria you wouldn't eat, no matter how hungry you are? None. I love food. I will eat anything

Return to “Heartland Region”