Melissa Flucke 11-10 State Leader (WI)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Melissa Flucke 11-10 State Leader (WI)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 08, 2009 1:11 pm

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/art ... akes+third

shwaubenon's Flucke vaults state best, team takes third
PRESS-GAZETTE • MAY 8, 2009
Post a Comment Recommend Print this pageE-mail this articleShare

ASHWAUBENON — Returning state pole-vault champion Melissa Flucke vaulted a state-best 11-feet, 10 inches to win the event at the Ashwaubenon girls invitational on Thursday.

Flucke also won the high jump with a 5-foot leap to aid Ashwaubenon to a third-place team finish with 107½ points.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Melissa Flucke 11-10 State Leader (WI)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:30 pm

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/art ... re-heights

All-area girls track and field: Flucke ascends to rare heights
Pole vaulter embraces challenges to win second state title
BY WESTON HODKIEWICZ • WHODKIEW@GREENBAYPRESSGAZETTE.COM • JUNE 29, 2009

To this day, Melissa Flucke isn't crazy about heights.

So how do you explain the Ashwaubenon senior's ability to win back-to-back state pole vaulting titles while consistently topping heights well above 11 feet?

It's the same reason why she upped her workout routine this season and began doing pull-ups even though she used to detest them.

For Flucke, it has always been about meeting and exceeding the challenge in front of her.

Whether that was overcoming her initial fear of heights or striving for that one extra pull-up, she's always pushing herself to perform to the best of her ability.

Last month, Flucke notched a personal-best vault of 12 feet, 2 inches at the Ashwaubenon Sectional one week before winning her second consecutive Division 1 state pole vault title.

For her accomplishments, Flucke is the 2009 Press-Gazette girls track and field athlete of the year.

"Freshman and sophomore year, I didn't really like working out," Flucke said. "But after junior and senior year especially, I actually liked working out because I knew it was something I had to do to get better."

Flucke will continue vaulting next fall at the University of Minnesota, leaving behind her high school accomplishments that include being a four-time state qualifier in the pole vault and high jump.

"It makes everything more exciting," Flucke said. "When I think back to high school, that's probably what I'll remember the most is winning state twice."

Return to “North and Central Regions”