Missouri 250 mile rule

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

Unread postby vaultdad » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:36 am

Have you ever wondered how this stuff gets by and keeps on happening to kids ,while meanwhile other folks will go to court instantly to sue somebody over the temperature of the coffee in the cup they stuck between their legs while driving?

I must be middle aged now, because this stuff annoys the heck out of me! :P
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

natdog
PV Wannabe

Unread postby natdog » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:06 am

Another incredible rule from mshsaa. Kids can not attend a camp/clinic during a two week period prior to the start of spring practice. Somebody explain that one?
run high and hold fast

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

I GOT IT

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:11 am

natdog wrote:Another incredible rule from mshsaa. Kids can not attend a camp/clinic during a two week period prior to the start of spring practice. Somebody explain that one?

[color=blue][b]THEY might learn how to vault too high, just like the javelin lets make it so the implement will not go so far , lets make it so the athletes can not jump so high!!!

Yes I had a clinic in KANSAS CITY ONCE where the kids on the Kansas side had to have their coach if they attended the clinic, but on the Missouri side the coach was not to attend with them or they would be disqualified???

I may have that reversed it was so silly I forgot which it was.

On another occasion after working out at Jeff Buckingham’s ( Former 18’8â€Â

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:29 pm

there are all kinds of retarded rules out there concerning high school kids. In Illinois, only 2 kids from each school are allowed to attend pole vault camps, so my kids would "accidentally" leave their school off their registration forms. In WA, we also have the rule where I can't work with my kids out of season, altough i just looked at the language of the rule, and it says I should not conduct regimented practices. Would running a track club and having "open vaulting" be considered a regimented practice? I always like to explore the grey areas. ;)
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast

try this

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 pm

ashcraftpv wrote:there are all kinds of retarded rules out there concerning high school kids. In Illinois, only 2 kids from each school are allowed to attend pole vault camps, so my kids would "accidentally" leave their school off their registration forms. In WA, we also have the rule where I can't work with my kids out of season, altough i just looked at the language of the rule, and it says I should not conduct regimented practices. Would running a track club and having "open vaulting" be considered a regimented practice? I always like to explore the grey areas. ;)

Intramural pole vaulting as part of the school curriculum

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:39 pm

here's the actual text of the rule from the WIAA handbook

The WSCA discourages coaches from elongating any
season by encouraging an athlete to continue to work and compete in that specific sport rather than participate in another
sport season. Should an athlete desire to excel in one specific sport by participating outside of the season, regimented
practice or competition should not come from the specific sport coach.

Would this apply to participating in a track club that is open to all kids during the summer?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:46 pm

Ash - You can pretty much do whatever you want all summer, until about August, when they have a "no contact" period or whatever. After that you could do general conditioning stuff with them, but not sport specific stuff like hurdles or pole vault. You could coach kids at every other school in the state, just not your kids at PHS (until track season). This is why some of the coaches in the state (Dick Henrie, Mike Mikos) try to avoid being the coach at a particular school.

The rules get broken, whether you get caught is gonna depend on how good your kids are and how many enemies you (or they) have :P

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast

MY OPINION

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:46 pm

If it does not have to do with the school and it is a club and is not within the season of that sport at that school, I would say you could participate in a camp, club, fun practice, etc.

I am not qualified so ask each state association as they view things a little differrent.
I am always confused as to the motivation and intent of the rules, I find most rules are set for football and kind of carry over into the other sports even though often they really should not apply to those other sports.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:16 pm

Ash,

Dick Henry got investigated for coaching out of the season last year for Sehome. So I would be cautious about it. Nothing came of it but alot of stress for Dick. Two years ago Dick had me as a track club coach, but talking with thw WIAA I still couldn't coach any of my vaulters the last couple weeks of agust until track started again.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

ashcraftpv
That one guy

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:41 pm

ok, thanks! I was more concerned about the summer as I'm going to try to put together a club. Almost all of my kids are in other sports during the year, so I'm not real concerned about theoff season during the school year. It would be nice to be able to sneak in some vaulting before the season started, but I guess its not that important.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:39 pm

That wouldn't be a problem for most of the summer exept in August as Becca said, During that time (in aug) you could coach any kid except for your high scholl kids.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: MY OPINION

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:51 pm

ESSX wrote:If it does not have to do with the school and it is a club and is not within the season of that sport at that school, I would say you could participate in a camp, club, fun practice, etc.

Most states regulate this stuff if it is the high school coach doing the coaching (even if it is in no way connected to the school).

Return to “North and Central Regions”