Fire destroys Sheldon High pole vault pit (OR)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Fire destroys Sheldon High pole vault pit (OR)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:32 am

http://www.kval.com/news/local/7239471.html

Fire destroys Sheldon High Track equipment

Story Published: Apr 28, 2007 at 5:26 PM PDT
By Meghan Kalkstein
Eugene - A fire devastates Sheldon High School's track pit Saturday afternoon, leaving the pole vaulting team without equipment or a place to compete in next week's meet. And fire officials say it all started with two middle school students.

Eugene fire officials say they saw black plumes of smoke west of the Sheldon football stadium. When they arrived a metal shed covering the pole vault pit was fully engulfed in flames.

Firefighters say that pit is made of a foam landing pad, which is completely destroyed, as is the metal housing unit. Benton Ulm with Eugene fire explains: "We could see the smoke, we didn't know what was involved didn't know what our access was going to be when we did make access we determined it was a shed fully involved pole vaulting shed and pit."

It was a total loss of about $15,000. The track coach says she was not there when the fire happened but was shocked to hear the news. "Everything is completely gone, the pole vault pits the standards and the outside metal containers, everything is ruined," says Coach Erin Regali.

Ruined, she says at the worst time too. The team is just about done with their season, and with a meet Tuesday May 1st, Regali say's they either won't compete, will have to borrow equipment from another school or will move the event.

Meanwhile, police were able to arrest two middle school boys based on witness descriptions. They were arrested for criminal mischief and reckless burning, and they have been released to their parents.

Police say the boys routinely used the shed as a make-shift fort, and that the fire started when they decided to burn a nearby visor, which got out of hand.

tigervaulter727
PV Whiz

Unread postby tigervaulter727 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:03 pm

Oh my gosh, that's terrible.

:(

I am so sorry for those vaulters and their coach!

Is there a way to help 'em or anything?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:10 pm

tigervaulter727 wrote:Oh my gosh, that's terrible.

:(

I am so sorry for those vaulters and their coach!

Is there a way to help 'em or anything?

Hopefully their school has insurance that covers it.

I have actually heard of schools being better off after fires. IF the insurance covers it well, they might get a brand new pit and new series of poles if the poles were burned as well.

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”