Brandon Maurer aims for state glory in pole vault (NM)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Brandon Maurer aims for state glory in pole vault (NM)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 01, 2008 3:26 am

http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_9111084

Maurer aims for state glory in pole vault (6:50 p.m.)

By Felix Chavez/Sun-News reporter
Article Launched: 04/30/2008 06:41:05 PM MDT

LAS CRUCES — Brandon Maurer hasn't been competing very long in the pole vault.

But in the short time, Maurer has come a long way.

Last year as a junior at Mayfield High School, Maurer began competing in the pole vault and was making progress, before injuries sidelined him for the state meet.

Then after this year's football season, Maurer went into track and field season eager to make things happen once again.

"I really liked the pole vault and it's just something I wanted to try. Unfortunately, I didn't get to finish last season, so this year was an important one for me," Maurer said. "So far things have gone well this year."

Maurer has already broken the school record in the pole vault and last month he finished second in the Marilyn Sepulveda meet in Albuquerque with a mark of 14 feet, 9 inches.

That mark is tied for second best in the state behind Cibola's Daniel Gooris, who is the best in the state with a 16' 9" mark.

"To finish second in that meet was important for my confidence," Maurer said. "I feel like I can compete against the best in the state. I'm just trying to improve each time out in practice in the meets. My goal is to get over 16 feet at state. To do well in this sport, you just

Advertisement

have to work hard, have good balance and be strong. I was fortunate enough to pick up on things pretty quickly."
Maurer also competes in a pair of relays for the Trojans, but it's the pole vault where he has shined this year.

Maurer said he has received some interest in terms of college suitors for his talents, including the University of New Mexico.

If Maurer fares well at the state meet in two weeks, chances are he'll get invited to the Great Southwest Invite in Albuquerque and possibly earn some more attention from college recruiters.

"Brandon has done a great job this year," Mayfield coach Mike Kingery said. "He was really motivated to come in this spring and do the pole vault again. He's very strong and he picked up the sport really quick. He has the chance to keep improving and he has a great opportunity to do well at the state meet."

The Mirmanian Invite will take place today at Field Of Dreams starting at 4 p.m. Today's meet is the final tune-up before the district meet next week.

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”