Fanelli vaults to record, still sore from 3 events (AZ)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Fanelli vaults to record, still sore from 3 events (AZ)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:23 pm

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... k0510.html

Fanelli vaults to record, still sore from 3 events
Jim Richards
Special for The Republic
May. 10, 2008 12:00 AM

Chandler Valley Christian senior Daniel Fanelli felt the pain from competing in the triple jump, the long jump and the 4 x 100 meter relay earlier in the day, but he had enough left in him to set another mark in his signature event.

Fanelli, who will attend Azusa Pacific University on a track scholarship with an emphasis in the pole vault, broke his own Class 2A state record of 14 feet, 10 1/2 inches Friday night with a vault of 15-0 at the Class 2A track and field championships at Mesa Community College.

After four finals events in boys and girls competition, Valley Christian - defending champions of both the team boys and girls - is ahead in both, with the boys holding a 43.5 to 17 point advantage over second place Phoenix Northwest Christian. Its 12-time defending girls' team holds a 52.5 to 19 point lead over second place Morenci.
advertisement

Fanelli broke his 1-year old mark on his first vault. He then set his sights on breaking this year's pole vault high mark of 15-6 set by three vaulters thus far (Class 5A-II pole vaulters will finish Saturday night) with an attempt at 15-7, but came up short. It also would have been his personal best.

"I had been real sore today," Fanelli said, speaking of preliminary competition in the triple jump, long jump and 4 x 100 that will be completed Saturday night. "I felt I would have gotten the (15-7 attempt) if my steps were on. I wasn't getting the depth into the pit that I could have.

"I had the height, though. I felt that I could have gotten it if I would have had one or two more chances."

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”