Bobby Kittell breaks state pole vault record (UT) 16-1

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Bobby Kittell breaks state pole vault record (UT) 16-1

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:25 pm

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700224380,00.html

High school track: Kittell breaks state pole vault record
Mountain View senior shatters 6-year-old mark
By Ryan Merriman
For the Deseret News
Published: Friday, May 9, 2008 12:20 a.m. MDT
2 comments RELATED CONTENT | E-MAIL | PRINT | FONT + -
PROVO — Mountain View senior Bobby Kittell would have been the Region 7 pole vault champion regardless of how high he jumped. Kittell is the only vaulter in the region, and the event did not even count toward team point totals. But despite the lack of competition, Kittell cleared 16-feet-1-inch on his final attempt, breaking the state record set by BYU All-American Bob Low in 2002.
"I remember watching Bob vault in seventh and eighth grade," Kittell said. "I saw him set the record and it's been my goal ever since."

The new state record holder has had plenty of encouragement. Kittell's father bought him a pole at age eleven and a full-sized vault pit for the backyard several years later. Besides being able to practice in his own backyard, Kittell also benefits from the coaching of former BYU pole-vaulter Eric Rasmussen.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:31 pm

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/265282/140/

Bruins' Kittel sets state pole vault record
HERALD CORRESPONDENT
Weather forces postponement of Region 7 track meet
Jordan Christiansen

He's got every pole vault record at his school. The other region competitors look up to him. Now, Mountain View senior Bobby Kittel is a state record holder.

After years training in his backyard pole vault pit, Kittel vaulted to a record 16 feet, 1 inch, smashing the old Region 7 mark by a foot and claiming the highest overall 4A state outdoor mark.
Mountain View coach Mike Hunter describes Kittel, his dad and his brother as being "totally nuts" about pole vault. In front of his family, friends and coaches at Mountain View on Tuesday, Kittel did what he always knew he could, achieving the record on his third and final try.

"It's one thing to say you're going to do something, but then to go out and do it," Hunter said of Kittel's feat. "He's pretty dedicated to what he does and a hard worker. It's nice when good things happen to someone who deserves it."

According to Kittel's research on the Internet, Kittel's jump is 11th best in the country this year.

As for the rest of the Region 7 Outdoor Track Championships on Wednesday at Timpview High in Provo, the term "heat" was strictly a technical term. A thunderstorm postponed the majority of the events scheduled for the first day of the meet, as only two events -- the 1,600-meter girls and 3,200m boys runs, were completed.

Orem High's Krystal Harper took first in the 1,600m, coming in three seconds faster than teammate Kendy Christensen at 5:14.62. A pair of Mountain View Bruins followed, as Jennica Redd and Sarah Yingling. The top five runners in each event qualify for the 4A state meet, meaning Springville's Stephanie Christensen will get to run again with the two Tigers and two Bruins later this month.

As for the boys, Jonathan Nelson of Timpview had the fastest time in the 3,200m with a time of 9:35.63. Nelson was in the front pack most of the way, pushing ahead late to come out on top. Rounding out the top five were Spencer Gardner of Springville, Travis Fuller of Mountain View, Darren Ott of Orem and Krys Gardner of Timpview.

"I was a little bit unnerved about leading," Nelson said. "Going down the straightaway, I decided I'd give it one final attempt and it worked out all right. It was a good time."

Both winners didn't seem too put out by the bad weather, instead insisting they enjoyed the cloud cover.

"I liked the weather a lot," Harper said. "I love when it's bad weather."

Nelson added: "I really liked today. It wasn't too hot, so things worked out well."

Sunnier skies are slated for the remainder of the meet today, set to begin at 2:30 p.m. at Timpview.

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”