New Mexico Pole Vault Camp

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

New Mexico Pole Vault Camp

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:36 pm

http://golobos.ocsn.com/sports/c-track/ ... 03aaa.html

UNM Track & Field Announces Dates For 2003 Pole Vault Camp

Dec. 11, 2003

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - University of New Mexico assistant track & field coach Scott Steffan will conduct his first annual pole vault camp on Dec. 19 and 20 at the UNM Indoor Pole Vault Facility in Southwest Albuquerque. The cost is $65 for both days and the camp is open to all athletes 10 years old and up. The camp runs from 5 - 9 p.m. on Friday the 19th and from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. on Saturday the 20th. Payment will be collected at the door.

Steffan is entering his fourth season as assistant track and field coach at New Mexico under Matt Henry and 13th year of collegiate coaching overall. Steffan was an all-Western Athletic Conference decathlete, competing for the Lobos from 1986-91 before starting his coaching career at the University of Virginia.

He also coached All-Americans in the pole vault at Wichita State University, including 2000 U.S. Olympic Trials competitor Nikki Plant. In each of his three seasons at WSU, Steffan's athletes finished first, second and third in the women's pole vault at the Missouri Valley Conference meet.

Steffan was a teammate of New Mexico's greatest pole vaulter, Simon Arkell, who was a three-time All-American and six-time WAC champion from 1987-91, and has worked to revitalize the Lobo pole vault group since returning to Albuquerque. Three years after taking over a unit which had just one vaulter, Steffan instructed 14 athletes in the pole vault in 2003, including 2002 Commonwealth Games bronze medalist Bridgid Isworth and two-time National Junior College champion Branden Bennett.

Isworth went on to capture the 2003 MWC indoor pole vault title and then became the first UNM woman ever selected for the NCAA Indoor Championship meet, where she finished tied for 12th. The MWC runner-up outdoors, Isworth shattered both UNM indoor and outdoor pole vault records last spring. Steffan also coached true freshman Chris Ashcraft to an eighth place finish at the MWC meet and a subsequent berth in the NCAA Midwest Regional Championship field.

Campers will be asked to bring the following equipment:

Poles (if possible - UNM will supply poles as well)

Spikes

Water

Lunch for Saturday

Contact Scott Steffan by December 17 for camp registration. phone: (505) 925-5738 email: ssteffan@aol.com

Friday, Dec. 19

5 p.m. - Camp Starts

9 p.m. - Camp Ends

Saturday, Dec. 20

9 a.m. - Camp Starts

12 p.m. - Lunch

1 p.m. - Afternoon Session Begins

5 p.m. - Competitions

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:32 am

wow becca you got that info quick! i just got that info from a handout from my head coach today, was it also on the internet? I don't know Scott Steffan personally, but another coach, Coach Provolt (no joke, thats his name) I'm almost positive will also be there, he gave me info about these clinics a month ago and I thought he was the one that organized it. we couldn't make it to the last one cause Scott was outta town and Prov didn't have a key...it was rather depressing... It seems rather expensive just to vault indoors, perhaps I'll wait 'til January to go when I'll hopefully have some new poles in....
jody

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:47 am

Yeah it was on the school website. :)

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”