Pocatello Street Vault - August 1, 2009 (ID)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Pocatello Street Vault - August 1, 2009 (ID)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:42 pm

2009 Pocatello Street Vault
Host:
Pocatello Street Vault
Type:
Sports - Sporting Event
Network:
Global
Date:
Saturday, August 1, 2009
Time:
10:00am - 10:00pm
3rd Street In front of Hooligans and the 151 Building
Street:
122 N 3rd Ave
City/Town:
Pocatello, ID
View Map
Phone:
Email:
pocatellostreetvault@hotmail.com
Description
You are invited to participate in the 1st Annual Pocatello Street Vault in Pocatello, Idaho!! Our hope is that this annual street vault will re-ignite the flame, the love, and the passion for pole vault that the City of Pocatello and its residence had when Stacy Dragila brought gold home from the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney Australia. The street vault will not only showcase Pocatello’s own high school athletes but collegiate and elite athletes as well. Pole vaulters from across the country will compete in three high-flying competitions in the first annual street vault.

This crowd-friendly competition is designed to promote pole vaulting to the general public. Vaulters will receive a meal coupon and T-shirt. You may wear a costume while vaulting, and interact with spectators & fellow athletes, and enjoy great music. The elite session promises to be very exciting with prize money at stake.

Registration is now open!!! please request an entry form or print it from our blog on our myspace page at myspace.com/pocatellostreetvault

Please take note that the Pocatello Street Vault Planned for July 25, 2009 has now been moved to August 1, 2009. Mark it on your calendars! See you August 1st.

vaulterx
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Collegiate Coach/Former Collegiate Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Re: Pocatello Street Vault - August 1, 2009 (ID)

Unread postby vaulterx » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:55 am

Get all of your information for the 09 Pocatello Street Vault from these great links.
http://www.pocatellostreetvault.synthasite.com
http://www.myspace.com/pocatellostreetvault
Look for us on Facebook.com
Our greatest achievement is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall

vaulterx
PV Wannabe

Unread postby vaulterx » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:51 am

The location for the 09 Pocatello Street Vault has changed. We are now located at the 400 Block of North Harrison Avenue with the Southeast Idaho Farmers Market.

Located at the 400 Block of North Harrison Avenue
Directions:

Coming from Salt Lake:
1. Take exit 69, Turn Left on E CENTER ST - go 0.4 mi
2. Continue on E CLARK ST - go 1.4 mi
3. Bear Left on N 1ST AVE
4. Turn Right on E CENTER ST - go 0.2 mi
5. Turn Right on N UNION PACIFIC AVE - go 0.3 mi
6. Turn Right on W Fremont
7. Turn Left on N HARRISON AVE
8. Arrive at 420 N HARRISON AVE, POCATELLO,
Coming from Idaho Falls/Twin Falls:
1. Take exit 69 onto E CLARK ST - go 1.4 mi
2. Bear Left on N 1ST AVE
3. Turn Right on E CENTER ST - go 0.2 mi
4. Turn Right on N UNION PACIFIC AVE - go 0.3 mi
5. Turn Right on W Fremont
6. Turn Left on N HARRISON AVE
7. Arrive at 420 N HARRISON AVE, POCATELLO
Our greatest achievement is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall

vaulterx
PV Wannabe

Unread postby vaulterx » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:02 pm

NO PRIZE MONEY FOR THE ELITE COMPETITION
Due to the state of the economy sponsors for the street vault are extremely hard to come by. Unfortunately we will not be able to offer prize money for the elite section this year. The street vault will go ahead as planned but with out prize money for the elite section. We apologies for any inconvenience and hope to see everyone at the street vault. It will still be a wonderful event and a great stepping stone to making the event bigger and better next year. See you all August 1st.

vaulterx
PV Wannabe

Unread postby vaulterx » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:35 pm

ROLLING SCHEDULE

Ok everyone. We are a week away from the Pocatello Street Vault. Please take note that because of the number of entrants we will be working with a rolling schedule. This means that the first group high school girls/open women's competition will start at 11am as planned then as soon as it is over warm-ups for the next group will start and get an hour to warm up. So make sure you are there. This is going to be a great event and a lot of fun!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:54 am

http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2009 ... ocal/2.txt

Vault a family affair

tflagstad@journalnet.com

Mark Pierson didn't leave the inaugural Pocatello street vault as the champion Saturday.

But capturing the title wasn't the reason Pierson made the 711-mile drive from Pueblo, Colo., to the Gate City to compete.
Mark's son Sam is a standout pole vaulter at Idaho State, and the elder Pierson literally jumps at any chance he gets to enter the same competition as Sam.

"I've been jumping for 33 years," Mark said, "and most of the time, I don't get to jump with him. It's a lot of fun, and we have a good time jumping together."
Mark, Sam -- a senior-to-be -- and 16-year-old Daniel Pierson -- another of Mark's sons -- were among the dozen or so athletes who competed in the men's portion of the street vault, held in conjunction with the Southeast Idaho Farmers' Market on Harrison Street in Old Town.

While the event started with a slight hiccup when no women showed for the early portion of jumping, the Piersons and the rest of the men's field kept those who wandered over after the conclusion of the farmers' market entertained.
"It's fun because you get the crowd behind you, clapping and getting involved," Mark said. "That gets your adrenaline going a little better."

Sam credits Mark with providing a similar boost.
While in high school, Mark served as Sam's coach and vaulting mentor, and the son cherishes the chance to share a runway with his dad.

"I love it. All through high school, it wasn't like a coach/student-athlete thing with him saying, 'You do this.' We worked together a lot, and I love listening to him and his coaching ideas," Sam said. "Being on the runway with him is fun. He has a lot of fun with it. He always has a smile on his face, no matter what happens. He gives everyone else energy."
The coaching Mark has provided has paid off.

In 2008, Sam captured the Big Sky outdoor title and qualified for the NCAA championships. This past season, Sam was a part of a Bengals sweep of the top three spots in the outdoor conference pole vault competition. Sam finished second with a jump of 16 feet, 6 3/4 inches while teammate Mike Arnold won the title with a mark of 16-10 3/4.
The Idaho State standout who finished third that day at the conference meet, Levi Keller, produced the best performance Saturday at the street vault.

Keller cleared 16-6 and won the event when Sam couldn't match the feat.
Event organizer Joe Silvers, who cleared 15 feet on the day marked by a steady headwind, appreciated the Pierson family's appearance.

"It means a lot to me that they're willing to come all the way from Colorado," Silvers said. "It's like a 14-hour drive or something like that. It means a lot that they'd come down here and support my event and support Sam."
Silvers hopes to make the street vault an annual event, and with the lessons he learned during the first go-round, he's confident next year's edition will go a lot more smoothly.

Still, he's pleased with how everything turned out.

"For the first year," Silvers said, "it was pretty good."

By Tim Flagstad

vaulterx
PV Wannabe

Unread postby vaulterx » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:28 pm

http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2009 ... ocal/3.txt

Street vault set to go

by Tim Flagstad

Based on the marks he recorded while competing in the pole vault at Idaho State, Joe Silvers isn't holding out hopes of representing the United States at a world championship meet or the Olympics.

Still, he's definitely not ready to give up the sport, even though he's exhausted his college eligibility.

"I feel like I have more in me and there are higher bars I can achieve," Silvers said.
He'll have a chance to do just that today at the Pocatello street vault, which starts at 11 a.m. and will take place in conjunction with the Southeast Idaho Farmers' Market in Old Town Pocatello.

Partly to give athletes like himself more chances to compete and partly to generate interest in the event, Silvers decided to organize the event, which he hopes to make an annual thing.
"We kind of want to get pole vaulting back in the community," Silvers said. "It's been a while since we've had a street vault in the area. We thought it'd be kind of fun for the Idaho State vaulters to have a meet that's close by."

The street vault will have a high school girls and open women, high school boys and open men and open elite divisions.
Organizers will set up a pole vault runway and pit near the farmers' market in hopes of attracting spectators, who will have chances to catch T-shirts thrown into the crowd after an athlete clears a bar.

"I thought it would be a good place to kind of feed off each other. Farmers' market has people at it, so we're guaranteed to have people mosey on over and watch for a little bit," Silvers said. "People who come watch or compete will be able to head over there and buy fruit and things if they want."
For those not familiar with street vaults, they're far different from normal track and field meets.

While the sport and technique involved are the same, the atmosphere certainly isn't, said former Idaho State vaulter Emmy Korth.
"Usually -- and I'm hoping it carries over -- every meet I've been to in the past, it's been revved up, loud music playing, people running around in costumes," said Korth, who helped with the initial planning of the event but won't compete because of an injury. "It's like running around at the fair all day."

Silvers promises there will be music blaring, and he and his fellow competitors will do their best to keep the crowd entertained.
Any revenue generated from the competition's entry fees will go toward helping cover the costs that pile up when the Bengals vaulters go to the Reno (Nev.) Pole Vault Summit each winter.

If nothing else, the street vault will allow Silvers and other area athletes a chance to showcase their talents without traveling out of town.
"Once you start," Silvers said of pole vaulting, "you don't want to stop."

This document was originally published online on Saturday, August 01, 2009

vaulterx
PV Wannabe

Unread postby vaulterx » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:30 pm

2009 Pocatello Street Vault - 8/01/2009
Pocatello, ID
Results

Elite Men
===================================================================================
World Record: 20-01.75 1994 Sergey Bubka, UKR
American Record: 19-09.75 2008 Brad Walker, Nike
PSV Record: 16-06.00 2009 Levi Keller, Unattached
Name Year School Seed Finals
===================================================================================
1 Keller, Levi Unattached 5.03m 16-06.00
4.27 4.42 4.57 4.73 4.88 5.03 5.20
P XXO O O O O XXX
2 Pierson, Sam Unattached 4.88m 16-00.00
4.27 4.42 4.57 4.73 4.88 5.03 5.20
O O O O XO XXX

Open Men
PSV Open Men Record: 15-00.00 2009 Brad Silvester, Unattached
2009 Joe Silvers, Unattached
1 Silvester, Brad Unattached 4.57m 15-00.00
3.04 3.20 3.35 3.50 3.66 3.81 3.97 4.12 4.27 4.42 4.57 4.73
P P P P P P XO O O O XO XXX
2 Silvers, Joe Unattached 4.57m 15-00.00
3.04 3.20 3.35 3.50 3.66 3.81 3.97 4.12 4.27 4.42 4.57 4.73
P P P P P P XXO XXO O XO XO XXX
3 Capps, Nathan Unattached 4.12m 13-06.00
3.04 3.20 3.35 3.50 3.66 3.81 3.97 4.12 4.27
P P P P P P O O XXX
3 Meyers, Dustin Unattached 4.57m 13-06.00
3.04 3.20 3.35 3.50 3.66 3.81 3.97 4.12 4.27
P P P P P O O O XXX
5 Pierson, Mark Unattached 3.81m 12-06.00
3.04 3.20 3.35 3.50 3.66 3.81 3.97
P P P P P XXO XXX
6 Capps, Mike Unattached 3.04m 10-00.00
3.04 3.20
XO S

High School Boys
PSV HS Boys Record: 11-06.00 2009 Daniel Pierson, Unattached
1 Pierson, Daniel Unattached 3.50m 11-06.00
3.04 3.20 3.35 3.50 3.66
P P XO XXO XXS
McLaughlin, Dale Unattached NH
3.04 3.20 3.35 3.50 3.66 3.81
P P P P P XXX
McCully, Jordan Unattached NH
XXX

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:22 pm

Are you guys doing this meet again this year?

vaulterx
PV Wannabe

Unread postby vaulterx » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:26 pm

At the moment it is up in the air. If we do have the street vault there will not be any prize money, I know that much. I will keep you posted. Thanks.

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”