Article from New Mexico

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Article from New Mexico

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:40 pm

http://www.cibolabeacon.com/articles/20 ... /news1.txt

School record holder draws bead on state pole vault competition

GRANTS -- "I hadn't even hit the mat yet, and it felt like I had waited a lifetime for it to happen," said Grants High School pole vaulter Yesenia "Seny" Archuleta. Ever since she was young, Seny believed she was destined to soar to great heights in whatever she pursued. This was precisely what she did recently, setting a new Grants High School record in the women's pole vault.

Archuleta cleared 10' 3" at a meet in Belen on March 19, beating the old school record of 10' 1" set by her cousin Maegan Montoya just one year ago.

Head GHS girls track coach Tom Gutierrez was overjoyed by Archuleta's accomplishment. "It's great to see the fruits of the hard work the girls do," he said. "It's a great feeling and I am so proud of her. I am almost in tears every time something like this is achieved by one of my athletes." Though she has been a member of the track team since the eighth grade, Archuleta didn't start vaulting until she was a freshman in high school.

"I was running the track one day and coach Tom said 'Hey you look like a pole vaulter come here,' so I said okay," she recalled.

Archuleta does attribute part of the reason she began vaulting to her cousin Maegan. "She asked me to try it and I thought, 'she was small like me so why not?'"

Archuleta said that she knew she had broke the record before she had even finished her attempt during the Belen meet. Now, as a junior, she has set her sights on clearing 11' 5" by the end of the season.

Archuleta doesn't limit herself to the track when it comes to her interests. In fact, some might say she is a Renaissance women.

"I really like history and I love to write," she said. "I have notebooks full of writing."

Archuleta keeps an ongoing account of her life in a journal. "They say what goes on around you shapes who you are. I look (the journal) over just to see what kind of person I want to become."

Another passion of Archuleta's is military science. She said her ultimate goal is to graduate from college and become an officer in the Marine Corps. She would like to find a career that would allow her to serve her country as well as pursue her love of the written word. - Jerry Wilson

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:51 pm

so where do you find all these random articles? kind of interesting, since im the only one, i think, on here that is from new mexico and knows where belen is. havent heard of her before though, and theres some other girl vaulters from a school here in ABQ that i believe also go higher than 10... by the subject title i was hoping it would be an article about someone i knew...soon enough you may find one about a guy down south in NM, town called Carlsbad, i hear he's goin somethin like 16 some odd feet, really good vaulter...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:37 pm

jhesch wrote:so where do you find all these random articles?

My magic psychic powers O:-)

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”