Skipper Injured

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Skipper Injured

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:03 pm

From the Oregonian

Vaulting iffy after Skipper's injury

03/19/03
MOLLY BLUE

Sandy High School senior Tommy Skipper, one of the nation's best high school pole vaulters, might not be able to compete in the event this spring because of a hand injury.

Skipper was hurt last weekend while trying to set a national high school indoor record at the Nike Indoor Championships in Landover, Md. He had just set a meet record with a vault of 17 feet, 33/4 inches when he suffered the injury.

Skipper had planted his pole for an attempt at 17-7 when his pole shattered, as sometimes happens, and he suffered a broken bone in his left thumb. Had he cleared the height, he would have broken the national indoor record of 17-61/2.

"I'm very disappointed," Skipper said. "That was my second meet out this season, and I was feeling really good about my runway approach, my takeoff was looking better, everything felt like it was coming together."

Skipper is expected to have surgery Thursday. He will continue to compete in sprints, the javelin and the hurdles but probably will not vault.

"It's hard to tell yet whether I'll be able to go at the state meet," Skipper said. "I don't know much about the healing process or how strong the thumb will be."

Skipper vaulted 17-3/4 this season at a meet in Seattle. He set the Oregon Class 4A meet record at 17 feet last spring.

Last June, at the annual Oregon-Washington dual meet at Mt. Hood Community College, he vaulted 17-71/2, an Oregon best and a U.S. junior class record.

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:08 pm

Dang. Thats a downer. Almost like Sage Thames from Texas his senior year. He vaulted 17'7 (skipper broke his record last year) his Jr. year and was looking good until he pulled his hamstring half way through the outdoor season at the Texas Relays. Bad accidents. :no:

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”