Sam Pierson article (CO)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Sam Pierson article (CO)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:37 am

http://www.chieftain.com/sports/1145009104/3

Colts senior vaults way to next level

By JOE E. CERVI
THE PUEBLO CHIEFTAIN

Sam Pierson wants to take his pole vaulting career to new heights.

Literally.

Pierson on Thursday signed a letter of intent to attend Idaho State University in Pocatello, Idaho. The South High School senior said signing with the Division I Bengals will help him achieve several goals.

"I chose Idaho State for a couple of reasons. They have a great track and field program with great coaches. And they have a great nursing program and those are the areas I want to go into," Pierson said Thursday.

Pierson placed fourth at state a year ago with a vault of 14-0. He has cleared 14-8 this season, still trying for that elusive 15-foot barrier.

"I'm sure I'll get 15 feet this season," Pierson said. "I've cleared it in practice and have been close in meets. It will come."

Scholarship amounts to ISU, Pierson said, are based on a meet performance formula. Simply put, the higher he goes and the more points he scores (perhaps in other events), the more financial help he will receive.

"That's not really pressure. They are really fair, and with the coaches they have, I should be able to meet my goals," Pierson said.

Pierson splits his time academically between District 60's Health Academy and South.

"It's not a normal senior year. Every class at the Health Academy is STS (senior-to-sophomore) and I get college credit for those. They are all health-field related," he said. "Then I leave and go take classes the rest of the day at South. It's not a coast year."

The Colts senior visited the University of New Mexico and had contact with the University of Arkansas before signing with Idaho State.

Pierson's dad, Mark, also is his current coach. Mark, too, is an accomplished vaulter and said Idaho State is a good fit for his son.

"Dave Nielson not only is the head coach, but he's the pole vault coach, too," Mark Pierson said. "He coached (gold medal winner) Stacy Dragila in the 2000 Olympics. He was a jumper and a vaulter, but the pole vault is kind of his passion.

"One of Sam's goals is to compete after college, and he has aspirations of one day competing in the Olympics. He's getting stronger and stronger and the technical aspect of his vaulting is pretty good. He will only get better at Idaho State."

Sam Pierson would like one day to pole vault in the Olympics.

"Absolutely that is one of my goals," he said. "The 2008 Games are a little close, but you never know. The 2012 Games (in London) are definitely something I would like to try and achieve."

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”