Chelsea Barr and Tennly Paul-Bowden article (ID)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Chelsea Barr and Tennly Paul-Bowden article (ID)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 22, 2006 10:59 pm

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs ... /1001/NEWS

Two local girls, one boy soar past state records in pole vault

BRIAN MURPHY
IDAHO STATESMAN
The Idaho Statesman | Edition Date: 05-20-2006
Email This ArticlePrinter Friendly Page
Young and old alike took aim at Idaho's pole vault records Friday at Bronco Stadium.

The records didn't stand a chance.

Nampa Christian freshman Chelsea Barr and Payette senior Tennly Paul-Bowden established new marks in the 2A and 3A girls pole vault, respectively. Kamiah senior Jack Tousley also broke the state record in 2A boys.

"You've just got all this pressure built up and now it's time to pay off for everybody," said Paul-Bowden, who won the state title as a sophomore and finished third last year.

It paid off for Paul-Bowden.

Despite rattling the bar, she cleared 11 feet on her first try for a personal best. She failed in three attempts to clear 11 feet, 3 inches. Paul-Bowden and Weiser's Natalie Muir, who finished second, each broke the state record of 10-6 when they cleared 10-61/2.

"I've been stressed all year about winning state. I just settled on doing my best. That was my best for sure," Paul-Bowden said.

Barr had to settle for matching her career best, which was good enough for a state record and an easy victory in the 2A meet. The state record was 10-6, and Barr cleared 11-6. But she failed on three tries at 12 feet, her goal entering the day.

"I'm pretty happy about that. I've been hitting that a lot lately. I've been plateauing right there," she said. "I just need to get more inverted and I can hit 12."

Barr might have had a better shot at 12 feet had she not had to run a 100-meters qualifying heat before her final vault attempt. She qualified for the final. A broken standard delayed the girls 2A event, forcing an overlap.

Second-place finisher MJ Usabel of Marsing, the defending state champion, also was hurt by the delay. She could not clear 10-6 after having to run a qualifying heat in the 100 hurdles.

"When you get someone like Chelsea Barr whose really good, I mean the next best thing you can hope for is second place. That's what I was aiming for. I was really hoping for 10-6 and I think I would have gotten it today if I didn't have to run the hurdles," said Usabel, who qualified for the finals in the hurdles.

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”