Tony Michealis article (CO)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Tony Michealis article (CO)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:47 am

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/2006 ... 2/-1/rss03

Unusual track athlete takes fourth

Tim Adams
May 20, 2006

PUEBLO -- Roosevelt's Tony Michealis is no ordinary track athlete with his future prospects in the medical field and the passion for the pole vault.

On Friday, Michealis used that fuel for the event and his last vault before going to college to grab a fourth place finish in the Class 3A state pole vault event with a height of 14 feet.

Michealis was very pleased with his showing and got exactly what he wanted.

"My goal for the event was to get either 14 feet or 14-6," Michealis said. "I never would have thought that 14 feet would have finished me in fourth."

Michealis was referring to his showing last year at state when he had a height of 12 feet six inches, which also landed him in fourth place.

After that showing, Michealis had his mind in the right place. He didn't want to have a similiar showing.

"After the event, all I was thinking about was pole vault," Michealis said. "I worked hard to reach a better height."

He said the best part of the day was the weather, which could have helped with the raised heights from last year's event.

Pole vault coach Carl Yost had coached Michealis for all four years and, from the beginning of Michealis' career, Yost realized he was going to be a good one.

"We knew right away, just his enthusiasm for the pole vault event," said Yost. "He also has a lot of good attributes on and off the track."

What impressed Yost the most was the way Michealis would always analyze the situation and use his intelligence in helping him with the pole vault.

Track and field is not where it ends for Michealis. He will be attending the University of Wyoming in the fall. Originally he was going to go there for track, but due to certain circumstances, the team doesn't field any kind of field athletes. This won't deter him from going to Wyoming.

"After track, I want to go in the medical field, which is what I will be studying at Wyoming," Michealis said.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Tony Michealis article (CO)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:48 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Track and field is not where it ends for Michealis. He will be attending the University of Wyoming in the fall. Originally he was going to go there for track, but due to certain circumstances, the team doesn't field any kind of field athletes.

Sad :(

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”