swinging better.?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

pvstud13
PV Newbie

swinging better.?

Unread postby pvstud13 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:18 pm

I am 13 and my pr: is 11', but i need help in my swing. I can do the swing drill perfect but when i go from my run i cant seem to plant and swing all the way up. my hips get to about 10 o'clock then i stop. if any one has any advise as to helping me do it better i would love to here it!
pr 11'

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:53 pm

When you say 'swing drill' what do you mean? Do you mean on a high bar? If so, think about the vault as a moving high bar. If not, explain what you mean.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

LPVG
PV Fan

Unread postby LPVG » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:42 pm

A couple of things could be happening. You may be trying to row your hands down to your feet instead of using your shoulders and core to bring your feet up to your hands. This causes the arms to move forward from the body and effectively block your ability to swing up. The further your hands move from 12 to 9 o'clock the further out your center of gravity (CG) moves. It is difficult, if not impossible to move past your CG to get your hips up in time if your CG is at arms length in front of your body.

a simple drill is Bubkas. You have to hang from the bar with your arms completely vertical and then engage your shoulders and core to bring your hips to vertical. Stiff pole swing-up drills from three strides out also work. Use a very narrow grip - maybe 12-15". Hold low enough that you are safely landing on the pit. Your goal is to learn to "jump up - swing up". As you get better at this, raise your grip. Don't raise it to the detriment of safety.

Hope this helps

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:17 pm

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”