Why do some vaulter look at the bar?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

bushy_12
PV Nerd

Why do some vaulter look at the bar?

Unread postby bushy_12 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:48 pm

What is the in depth, underlining reasoning for this phenomenon. I believe its the fear of knocking down the bar, which is ironic because this habit leads to missed heights.

Any opinions?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Why do some vaulter look at the bar?

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:20 am

"I need to see the bar in order to know where it is, so that I can clear it and get ready to try and avoid knocking it off."
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

bushy_12
PV Nerd

Unread postby bushy_12 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:39 pm

To me, looking at the bar is a bad thing

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:32 pm

It is. My previous post is what many people think, consciously or subconciously.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:14 pm

For beginners (this is the Beginning Technique forum), I think it's necessary to look at the bar. To state the obvious, when you're just beginning to learn to vault, you won't know where the bar is if you don't look for it while you're approaching it during your swing and inversion. And certainly, your inversion isn't anywhere near the inversion of an intermediate or advanced vaulter, so you won't be vaulting higher than your grip. In this situation, I see nothing wrong with looking at the bar.

Once you progress to vaulting higher than your grip tho (or thereabouts - I don't mean to imply any exact height), you shouldn't have to continue looking for the bar. You should "feel" where it is. And you should have more important things to focus on, so you shouldn't worry about EXACTLY where it is.

Once you start getting a better inversion (i.e. start to shoot your legs more upwards, rather than shooting towards the bar), then you'll have other cues on where the bar is, so you shouldn't have to look. And ironically, as others have already mentioned above, if you look, it's actually self-defeating.

But I don't think beginners should worry about this. Just get the feel for where your body is in relation to the bar. Once you get that feeling, then you'll start getting secondary cues as to where your body is, and you won't have to rely on direct visual observation.

Having said that, your focus should be on raising your hips above your grip and your shoulders. The more you focus on what you SHOULD do, the less you'll worry about what you SHOULDN'T do. In other words, you should be action-oriented. i.e. Think about what you're GOING to do, not what you're NOT GOING to do!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

jvt51091
PV Beginner

Unread postby jvt51091 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:02 pm

from what my coach tells me

i look at it because im a retard

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Not exactly funny. :confused: :no:

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”