Some pretty bad run problems

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

chaus
PV Beginner
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10

Some pretty bad run problems

Unread postby chaus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:16 pm

My coaches have always told me "if your run didn't stink so much you would be such a great vaulter!" Well unfortunately for me it is pretty bad. I had my first meet this past weekend (the first time my college coach has seen me all out vault with mats and everything), of course she hasn't witnessed the extent of my horrible run haha.

My take off should have been between 8' and 8'6", of course it was at 7' or less the majority of the time (all but 1 vault actually i think). I cleared 8'2" jumping from about 7'6", my hands did slide down the pole a little as well. I then took one attempt at 8'8", ran hurdles, and then came back for my last two attempts, both of which where under. So really my inability to clear 8'8" could be because of running a hurdles race, but I really think its because of my run.

I was taking 6 lefts from 57'6" ish, overall I moved back maybe 3 feet, which should have put me at around 9' (I was very far in at first). I was also slowing down a bit on my last few jumps, unlike a lot of my high school jump though, I wasn't stomping down my plant foot the majority of the time. of course my coach didn't say anything about jumping of a flat foot, but who knows. :no:

I was thinking about using the mid mark chart for my steps now. (i read a good explination on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14543)

I'm looking for some drills that can help me out with my run. I know about the 20/20s, which I'm definitely going to work on some more.
I have heard of having one of those step-boxes (for step-arobics haha) and stepping up on that for your last step. Has anyone done this? do you think it could help with getting a better last step?
Anything anyone has ever used/heard of/saw would be great. I'm going to talk to my coach as well and see what she says, pole vault isn't her main even for coaching, but she coaches jumpers and I can only assume she has dealt with problems with steps before!

thanks in advance,
caitlyn

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Some pretty bad run problems

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:23 pm

chaus wrote:My coaches have always told me "if your run didn't stink so much you would be such a great vaulter!" Well unfortunately for me it is pretty bad. I had my first meet this past weekend (the first time my college coach has seen me all out vault with mats and everything), of course she hasn't witnessed the extent of my horrible run haha.

My take off should have been between 8' and 8'6", of course it was at 7' or less the majority of the time (all but 1 vault actually i think). I cleared 8'2" jumping from about 7'6", my hands did slide down the pole a little as well. I then took one attempt at 8'8", ran hurdles, and then came back for my last two attempts, both of which where under. So really my inability to clear 8'8" could be because of running a hurdles race, but I really think its because of my run.

I was taking 6 lefts from 57'6" ish, overall I moved back maybe 3 feet, which should have put me at around 9' (I was very far in at first). I was also slowing down a bit on my last few jumps, unlike a lot of my high school jump though, I wasn't stomping down my plant foot the majority of the time. of course my coach didn't say anything about jumping of a flat foot, but who knows. :no:

I was thinking about using the mid mark chart for my steps now. (i read a good explination on this topic: http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... 27&t=14543)

I'm looking for some drills that can help me out with my run. I know about the 20/20s, which I'm definitely going to work on some more.
I have heard of having one of those step-boxes (for step-arobics haha) and stepping up on that for your last step. Has anyone done this? do you think it could help with getting a better last step?
Anything anyone has ever used/heard of/saw would be great. I'm going to talk to my coach as well and see what she says, pole vault isn't her main even for coaching, but she coaches jumpers and I can only assume she has dealt with problems with steps before!

thanks in advance,
caitlyn

The mid-mark is something your coach looks at, not you, so it would be important that your coach learn and understand how to do it.

The best advice I have without actually seeing your jumps is to spend time with your sprint coaches working on your running technique and practice lots of pole runs. It may also help you to do short sprints on the track with your pole without dropping it for the plant, just to get used to running fast with a pole.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Some pretty bad run problems

Unread postby dj » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:24 am

hello

the chart is actually a "tool" to help the athlete have a faster more consistent, more correct run... the athlete can and should set up (if they don't have a coach) the correct run that fits their ability (on the track) themselves....

for example if your jumping 8 feet... you should set up three runs on the track...in three different lanes.. all planting at the same place... one with a 33 foot six step (3 left "MID") one with a 32 foot and one with a 34 foot... start running those with the correct acceleration (your six left appraoch will have 3 lefts to the "MID" or first cone, you 7 left.. 4..,,your 8 left approach will have 5 lefts to the "MID" Six step check mark)........ to the "MID" as a speed/technique session..

Mark and set cones at each of the last six steps including the takeoff... the steps will be 4'3", 4-5 and 4-7 respectfully.. fro 32-33-34 feet Six Step chack marks..

depending on your skill and speed level you may progress to longer "MIDS" very quickly.. ie.. 33,34,35 within a week.. then 34,35,36.. when you are running on the runway with a 36 Six Step "MID" you should easily jump 9-6 inches.

it is best to have someone to watch you, friend, mother, father, brother or sister... and give feed back.. but you can set up a camera.. and get tremendous benefit from the "positives' built into the chart...,

and start jumping higher and more technically sound...

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”