What should I do?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

mei
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

What should I do?

Unread postby mei » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:50 am

I'm a sophmore in high school right now and last year the polevault coach left, so now we have the throwing coach. He knows a little about pole vaulting but not a lot. So far this year, we have only vaulted once and it was only for about 30 minutes. I haven't gone to a meet yet but I'm going to my first one this year on Friday. The coach won't let us vault because it is too cold, but we did last year. I don't know how i'm supposed to get better if he doesn't let us vault. He says that I'll be fine even though we only actually vaulted once. I'm very nervous for the meet because it will be only my second time vaulting. What should I do to try to prepare for his meet and for the rest of the indoor season?

I am about 5'6" 120 lbs and last year I got 9' in the spring.
2011- HHS
9'

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: What should I do?

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:57 am

If you can't practice at all, you can't really expect to get better... I would say the 'cutoff' for vaulting is around 10-15F. Is it that cold everyday where you are?

You have to make your case heard. Again. And again. And again... Until you are allowed to practice in some fashion.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

mei
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

Unread postby mei » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:47 pm

It is about 20s-30s and maybe low 40s, so I think its ok to. My coach just has us do pole runs on the track and then do some slide box to try to get our steps down. But I don't think that will help too much because I am not actually jumping. I talked to my head coach today and he knows that we vaulted last year in this weather but said he was just going to go along with what the other coach said because he is the pole vault coach.
2011- HHS

9'

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:02 pm

Can you use the sand?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:13 pm