Approach Run

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Kahn
PV Newbie

Approach Run

Unread postby Kahn » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:37 pm

During my approach run, I do not carry the pole. Rather, I simply let the tip rest on the runway, holding the top above my shoulder, and run with it in front of me. Are there any disadvantages to this, or does it limit the energy that can go into my vault?

Thanks for answering,
Caleb

Thats.What.She.Said
PV Follower
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Darren Niedermeyer :D

Re: Approach Run

Unread postby Thats.What.She.Said » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:15 pm

just make sure to check runways for a lip before the box, or even for that matter chunks missing out of the runway. also make sure you are still running tall and not leaning forwards into the pole, thats basically the biggest problem is that it can promote leaning forwards while running, which will then hinder your takeoff. oh and do let it get you lazy with your arms since you dont have to actively plant, but you still have to get your arms up. also i guess you could argue that pushing the pole means there's friction between the pole and the runway which could possibly slow you down some. but yeah i'd say the biggest problem is that you really have to pay attention to your running form.
Lefties are cooler
I ♥ Darren Niedermeyer...NOT love
Put the pole in the hole and EXPLODE

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Approach Run

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:30 pm

We've had some great discussions about this before, check them out:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5640
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11676
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4637

There are vaulters who have used this technique with success, myself included. I think it can be great for beginners, but I would encourage you to continue to work on carrying the pole as well.

I am going to lock this thread because I don't like having the same discussions over and over, but feel free to reply in the other threads.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”