Gymnast to pole vault

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

NJresident
PV Newbie

Gymnast to pole vault

Unread postby NJresident » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:35 pm

I am a senior in High School, and i am going to be trying pole vault for the first time. I have been a gymnast all my life and really want to try this new sport. What do i need to know?

Andy_C
PV Pro

Re: Gymnast to pole vault

Unread postby Andy_C » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:06 pm

There is a lot to know actually! :)

The very first thing all new vaulters should learn is how to vault safely. First, let me ask, have you found a coach?

Because there is a lot to know, it's probably best you do most of your learning from him/her. This website can help you with specific problems or queries but I think you'd be hard pressed to get an answer to something like "can you teach me how to pole vault?". That's just too difficult to do over the internet. Also be careful if you're trying to research technique on google or youtube, there's a lot of garbage out there. What's good about an open forum like this one is that there is peer criticism, kind of like a journal. Ideas are put through fire to prove their worth. You can scour the forums and find lots of good stuff but they will most likely be a bit advanced for you.

Finding a good coach is probably the best thing you can do right now. Anybody who adheres to something called "The Petrov Model" will be your best shot.
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

NJresident
PV Newbie

Unread postby NJresident » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:18 pm

thanks for the tips. I have been vaulting for four days now and can clear eight feet. The other pole vaulters are helping me, since the coach is not there yet. I need to work more on my form and punch my left arm on take off.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:35 pm

NJresident wrote:... I need to work more on my form and punch my left arm on take off.

Punch BOTH arms up as you plant, to get your plant nice and high just before (or during) takeoff. Then swing, using your top arm as a fulcrum, and your bottom arm for balance only. This swing should be similar to a highbar swing, except it's primarily a one-armed swing.

Be aware that the "punching" of the arms is BEFORE the pole hits the back of the box. Once it hits, you should just swing naturally, and not let your bottom arm inhibit your natural swing. For an ex-gymnast, this should be a piece of cake! :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”