Vaulting after acl recon

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

slx2009x
PV Newbie

Vaulting after acl recon

Unread postby slx2009x » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:22 pm

I had ACL reconstruction on October 10, so it is coming on 5 months... I still want to pole vault... I tore my left ACL and that is my jumping leg. It is still a little sore. I have to see the doctor in a few days and I think he going to say it ok for me to return as the is no cutting in PV.

I'm not sure if i should stick with the left leg because there not really pain I think it just i haven't done much with it in months..... or should i just switch legs which means switching sides.

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: Vaulting after acl recon

Unread postby ACvault » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:53 pm

slx2009x wrote:I had ACL reconstruction on October 10, so it is coming on 5 months... I still want to pole vault... I tore my left ACL and that is my jumping leg. It is still a little sore. I have to see the doctor in a few days and I think he going to say it ok for me to return as the is no cutting in PV.

I'm not sure if i should stick with the left leg because there not really pain I think it just i haven't done much with it in months..... or should i just switch legs which means switching sides.

Well you probably would not be able to just switch your take off leg as that would constitute you switching from being a right handed vaulter to a left handed vaulter.

Also, if and when the doctor clears you to jump, the best advice I can give would be to ease back into things. I assume you haven't been able to run at all the past five months so I would suggest building your running ability back up along with easing back into vaulting. Make sure you talk with your coach about this.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Vaulting after acl recon

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:03 am

slx2009x wrote: I'm not sure if i should stick with the left leg because there not really pain I think it just that i haven't done much with it in months..... or should i just switch legs which means switching sides.

This is an interesting question, which doesn't have an obvious answer ...

I switched sides (legs and arms) when I was in Grade 9. My PR was only 9' then, so it was an easy switch.

The answer to your question depends on a few factors ...

1. How old are you?

2. How many years have you been jumping?

3. What's your PR?

4. What leg do you take off from in HJ? LJ? TJ? PV (before)?

5. What's the relative strength and coordination of your left leg and your right leg? i.e. How far can you kick a soccer ball or football with each leg?

6. What's the relative strength and coordination of your left arm and your right arm? i.e. How far can you throw a baseball or a javelin with each arm?

7. How well can you do a basketball layup with your left arm vs. your right arm (with opposite leg takeoff)? i.e. Which feels more comfortable, or are they about the same?

And the most important questions of all ...

8. Describe how you injured your leg, that might help in understanding your dilemma a bit better too.

9. Are you considering switching because you're afraid of further injury (i.e maybe you tore whilst jumping off your takeoff leg?), or did you already have some notion that you could jump quite well by switching sides?

10. Are you just anxious to get back into it, and you'll switch back once your ACL feels better, or are you seriously considering a permanent switch?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”