Vaulting on a pole rated under athlete's weight

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

melobe
PV Newbie

Vaulting on a pole rated under athlete's weight

Unread postby melobe » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:24 pm

HS pole vault rules clearly state that a vaulter may not compete on a pole rated below their weight

BUT

is there ever an appropriate time to vault on a pole below one's weight during practice? During a meet?

I will be coaching the pole vault this year after competing in the event for the past 8 years, and am unsure about how to proceed regarding this issue. I learned how to vault in high school on a pole well below my weight. I was a 5'6" female weighing 135, and it wasn't until I moved on to heights beyond 9' that I could successfully penetrate with a 135 pole. I have a painful memory of competing in a meet where the pole rating rule was enforced. Many of the girls who were safely and successfully clearing 9' or 10' on poles rated about 10lbs below their weight were consistently falling back onto the runway, or into the box. These young women had the technique to compete successfully and safely with their lighter poles, but perhaps due to their gender or age, lacked the strength to vault safely and successfully on a pole rated for their weight. I have every intention to follow the rules set forth by the powers that be, but can't shake the feeling that perhaps some modifications to these rules could safely benefit certain vaulting populations.

What are people's thoughts on this issue?

- Are these rules prejudice against some female HS vaulters or weaker male HS vaulters, or do they guarentee that athletes aquire the strength necessary to vault safely?
- Do more injuries occur in HS pole vault when an individual fails to penetrate into the pit, or when an individual crushes a pole? How often to poles really break, keeping in mind differences in age, gender, and bar height?
- Who decides the HS pole vault rules and regulations? What is their experience with beginning vaulters, female vaulters, and prospective vaulters who lack the highly sought after gymnast-turned-sprinter physique?
- If a vaulter is holding 1 ft from the top on a pole rated 10lbs below their weight, does this still violate the rules? Should it?
- Is it ever appropriate to use a lighter pole when learning to bend or carry a pole properly for the first time?
- Does the number of steps in an approach have any impact on whether or not the pole weight is appropriate? Should it? (ex: a 130lb female vaulter uses an 11' 120 for her 3 step to get warmed up, but competes on a 12' 135.)

Thanks for the input!

Thats.What.She.Said
PV Follower
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Darren Niedermeyer :D

Re: Vaulting on a pole rated under athlete's weight

Unread postby Thats.What.She.Said » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:22 pm

going from just pure personal experience i dont think it is that nessecary to throw them on a pole way under a girl's weight rating. I am a 15 year old smaller female vaulter with next to no gymnastics experience. I havent found this rule at all prejudice, because weaker usually means beginner, and i dont feel that beginners need to be bending the pole, they need to get good stiff poling form before they move to bending the pole. There is no reason why they shouldnt be getting into the pit, i have seen real young girls do it, so i wouldnt say that it is strength that gives them the ability to get in. I would say yes its ok to use a lighter pole in learning to bend, but not much lighter, and dont make a habbit of it. my reason being is that it allows them to feel the bend and learn technique, but once they get that experience move them back up to a pole of their weight rating, and if they cant bend that, then they arent ready to be bending the pole. However carrying the pole? care to explain how a lighter pole would help them learn this one? since a heavier pole would exagerate the drop while a lighter pole would allow them to develop the habbit of fighting the drop since they dont nessecarily feel it as easily. Holding one foot from the top, yes should still be violating the rule since we cant be getting out the ruler for every person just to make sure its a full foot.
Lefties are cooler
I ♥ Darren Niedermeyer...NOT love
Put the pole in the hole and EXPLODE

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Vaulting on a pole rated under athlete's weight

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:27 pm

The problem with the girls landing in the box was they were focused on bending the pole and were overgripping (or just overgripping). If they lowered their grip they might not bend the pole but they would land safely in the pit.

The rules are still somewhat prejudiced toward females, but you will find that some manufacturers have adjusted the weight ratings on small (12'6 and shorter) poles over the years to make them more appropriate for beginning girls.

Yes, a vaulter holding anywhere on a pole rated below their weight is breaking the rules.

If the poles rated above your kids' weights are too big, find them a shorter pole rated at or below their weight, or just keep their grip low and have them straight pole under they are advanced enough to bend that pole.

The rules aren't going to change, but you can learn how to best work with them. They are not inherently unsafe, it is only unsafe when a coach forces their athlete onto too big of a pole.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”