bending the pole...

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: bending the pole...

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:59 pm

It's imperative... We are not getting too far!

It's simple really... It might take five minutes... MIGHT. ;) (Probably less though!) I know you can't be THAT busy with school because you're on this board so much! :eek:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:09 pm

Lol...I actually HAVEN'T.
I'm on for very short, I just type extremely fast. :P

I DID change it down to a 4 step for one practice and I got 3 vaults over 6'! I think it was bc I was the only girl at practice...more relaxing.
I actually got over 6' 5 times that day! :)

I have a few videos, but they're all on my memory card and it's taking me a while to get them off.
Also, my coach's daughter is sick, so he was only at school 2 days last week. I'll try to remember to get it from him tomorrow.
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:17 pm

You are probably only getting a little more 'connected' with the pole. Video of all of your vaults is not necessary.

What IS necessary is that you film all the drills that you are doing, which seems to be approximately zero as of late... Where is the 80% drill that I asked for film of about a month ago? There had to have been 5 free minutes in that time period! Make time! I don't know everything about your school/family/social life, but there's no way you can be THAT busy. Sorry.

Tough :heart: .

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:27 pm

I actually got over 6' 5 times that day!

Why? We are all confident that you can jump over 6', there is no need for you to be jumping over a 6' crossbar every day. I NEVER use a cross bar in practice, only time i ever see one is at meets.

If you are holding 8' into a 8 inch box, that puts you needing to jump up and reach about 7'4 to push that much pole into the box from a ONE step. I am very confident that you being 5'3 would be able to jump up and touch a basketball rim if the rim was set at 7'4. So in the same way I am confident you could accualy jump 6' from a 1 step if you jumped in the same manner as if you were trying to touch the basketball rim. Therefor speed is not an issue.

This being said, unless you have really good upper body strenght and a strong core, you are not going to jump much higher than 6' with a 8 foot hand hold. So right now what you are going to have to do is stop running straight into the pit, you got to run JUMP and SWING over the bar. Your current speed in your videos is more than enough to be holding 9+ feet on a pole as long as you were JUMPING and PUSHING UP at take off.

So now instead of using that cross bar every day to practice jumping 6', put you a bungey up at about 8, and swing up and hook your shins over it.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:53 pm

I NEVER use a cross bar in practice, only time i ever see one is at meets.

WHY NOT? :dazed:

Part of the reason why a lot of people's practice jumps are so much better than their competition jumps is for that single reason!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:59 pm

because people spend too much time trying to clear the height of the bar and not jumping as high as they possiably can. Take birdi for instance... in her videos you can see that when she swings her feet only go as high as the bar she is jumping and never over her top hand. With a 8' bungey she would have to swing so much more. and to get 6'6 with that hand hold, if she could swing her feet up to 8' then snap her hips around, she would be easily over 6'6.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm not discounting your idea, I'm just saying that she should keep using a bar in practice often.

Set a bungie at 8'. Push the standards back to 90cm or even more. :idea:

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:17 am

I forgot to mention...I was about an inch off of 6'6" at the last meet. Twice.
Also, I like the crossbar up...it allows me to get used to the bar being there...that's probably part of the reason I screwed up in indoor season.
"That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset" Psalm 19:6

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:58 am

In Birdi's case, I too want to see quite a bit of crossbar or bungee work. The bar puts a physical reference as to where a turn should be and where her belly is facing that bar. She should be able to two step 6 feet but she never will until a minimal amount of form over the bar is achieved. The "goin' over with butt scraping the crossbar" thing just drives me nuts. I think we're all saying the same thing the only difference here is utilizing a bar or bungee in achieving it. I still want her to do a gazillion two to three step "up,- turn,- down -facing the runway and landing on her butt". She can easily hang a bungee at 4, 5 or 6 feet and just leave it there while the other vaulters are doing what ever they do. Figure that bungee or bar as a coaching tool. Birdi? PP42's suggestion about video's of your drills are at this point much more help for us than your competition vault videos. Later............Mike

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:04 pm

Okie dokie!
The only problem is we don't have our standards out EVERY day. Most, but not all.
They got rusty last year and my coach had to fix them, and they were REALLY stuck, which was time-consuming to fix, so we bring them under the stadium after practice. However, we don't always take them out because we do have to put them back up.
I am doing some of the drills.
I should be able to watch the video again on Friday.

Which drills should I tape especially? I do the one & two step jagodins every day and I do sprinting when I can. I also do jumps from a 4 step [to work on my plant] and I've increased my grip by a handhold. Also, I do a drill where you try to get your feet to touch the pole in the air. And a version of the "Candlestick" yoga position on the mats, to work getting straight when I get my legs up.

As a bonus: I vaulted 6'6" yesterday :) It was pretty sweet.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:19 pm

Also, I do a drill where you try to get your feet to touch the pole in the air. And a version of the "Candlestick" yoga position on the mats, to work getting straight when I get my legs up.

These are not very important (especially the candlestick). I would avoid using your time for this instead of:
walking 3 step plants (film it)
jogging 3 step plants (film it)
sprinting 3 step plants (film it)
3 step Jagodin on pit (film it)
3 step pseudo-long swing drill (film it)*
80% drill (FILM IT!)

*Set a bungie around 6'-7' back FAR (you can just tie it to the standards instead of adjusting them, and if one bungie won't fit then tie 2 together), grip a good 6" lower than normal, shoot toward the back of the pit and turn over the bungie to face the runway. I say 'pseudo' because the pole will not bend at all, so it is not exactly as pictured in BTB2. The key to this drill is a long and controlled swinging motion.

You will see your PR climb pretty rapidly if you start getting serious!

birdi_gurlie
PV Pro

Unread postby birdi_gurlie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:44 am

Okie dokie!
I will do those ASAP.
I got 6'6" again today!
Unfortuately though, while trying for 7'0", my tailbone smacked straight down on the crossbar and not my tailbone REALLLY hurts.
As in, hurts to walk, run, move, etc...never realized I used it that much.
Anyways, I took ibuprofen to prevent a bruise and have been icing it on and off since about 5pm.
I hope it will be okay by monday [I dont care about a bruise, so much as I can run/walk/move without it hurting.]

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”