HELP HElp HElp

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Havocd12
PV Newbie

HELP HElp HElp

Unread postby Havocd12 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Im new to pole vault power but i need help like crazy tired of LHSvaulter oneside opinion.
Things i need help to fix Tucking( need to full swing and destory poles), get backing (extention), the push off (not there) here a video of my 15' 7 attemptsand my stats are im 155 6'1 and I' ve vaulted since my sophmore year Improved this year from 11'6 to 13 in weeks and want 15'6 for college recuiter,( Limestone, USC, FAMU, USF) need to have done by april 27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX6jOgo0 ... annel_page

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: HELP HElp HElp

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:26 pm

So you don't buy his 'stretch' theory? Neither do I. :)

Get yourself on a high bar. Otherwise, you'll have some EXTREME difficulty getting anywhere close to 14'6" this season, let alone 15'6". Check out this site's Media section, and buy the BTB2 package (DVD and book) in the "Store".

Maybe more from me later.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:02 am

Havocd12 wrote: I'm new to pole vault power but i need help like crazy tired of LHSvaulter oneside opinion.

Remember that LHS's technique is VERY unique, just as Jason Colwick's technique is. Both are quite extreme.

I don't think LHS is trying to tell anybody ELSE to vault the way he does, and for sure you should not (just as you shouldn't vault like Colwick).

If you're new to PVP, you should probably research some of the more traditional "pure Petrov" threads. That's what's here, mostly.

Looking at your vid jumps, if you WANT to break yourself of the bad habit of pushing the pole with your bottom arm, we can help you with that.

If you WANT to continue with that style, I'm not going to discourage you, but I will forewarn you that there's not much support for that style of vaulting on this forum. I say this as a matter-of-fact ... no offense to anyone that successfully vaults that way.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Havocd12
PV Newbie

Unread postby Havocd12 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:49 am

Thanks bro but i've been over 14 sitting on it. I was using a 165 15'6
I've look at that BTB2 before and wach millions of videos on utube
Oh and LHSVAulter tech just became that way this year

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:08 pm

Havoc, you're asking for "HELP HElp HElp", but I'm not sure what kind of help you want.

You seem to have some sort of rivalry going with LHS. Frankly, I don't care ... I'll try to help both of you.

Just let me know how I can help. :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Havocd12
PV Newbie

Unread postby Havocd12 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:45 pm

Nah not really both just head strong BUt i really do need help on the swing and getting back. which diff. could be high bars
Another thing i need help is gettin on top of my pole the push off mainlly
and the hand grip thing just narrow it because its 18 inches ive got a meet tommorow ill naroow it to 15 sound good yes no maybe
thank you man
havocd12

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:23 pm

i think that your jump is pretty good. The one thing you are not doing is getting fully inverted. You get into a L position right before you turn. At that moment you have to pull down on the top arm and try to push your chest out. The best way to be able to learn to do this is like already said before the high bar.
pain is only temporary victory is forever

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:54 pm

Havocd12 wrote: ... i really do need help on the swing and getting back. ... Another thing i need help is gettin on top of my pole the push off mainlly ... and the hand grip thing just narrow it because its 18 inches ive got a meet tommorow ill naroow it to 15 ...

Havoc, I think your focus is misguided. You talk about "getting back" and "gettin on top of my pole" and "push off". These are issues regarding your upswing, inversion, and extension. Those are waaaaaay too far downstream in the process of running, planting, jumping, and swinging properly.

Your focus should be on gettilng into a good body posture to set up a powerful downswing ... by driving your chest thru right after takeoff ... and letting your bottom arm collapse more. Some people think you shouldn't let your bottom arm collapse, but once you understand that the pole will bend without any bottom arm pressure, you'll focus more on your body posture, and less on trying to bend the pole. It will bend merely thru the pressure of the TOP hand ... not the BOTTOM hand. By blocking with your bottom arm, you're killing your swing ... which in turn causes the problems in your inversion and extension that you complain of. First things first!

The correct body posture after takeoff will set you up for a more powerful downswing. Once you fix those things, you'll find that your upswing, inversion, and extension will improve without much extra effort or thinking about it at all. You will FLY off the top of the pole!

Do you ever wonder how Bubka FLIES off the top of his pole? It's not because he "gets back" or "gets on top of his pole" or "pushes off". In fact, he doesn't push off with his arms at all! It's all in the run, takeoff, and downswing. And the key to that is to NOT press up with the bottom hand after takeoff. That may be a hard pill for you to swallow, but that's what you need to do.

Regarding the 18" or 15" width between your hands, that shouldn't be your main focus, but if you're doing it to lessen the amount of pressing up that you're doing with your bottom arm, then it can't hurt. However, you might consider narrowing it just an inch at a time (it will change your run and pole drop), and you might consider experimenting with that in practice, rather than at a meet.

Kirk

Havocd12
PV Newbie

Unread postby Havocd12 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:31 am

ok so break the arm, a little or alot? Ok i understand what you said about the body posture. So i want to be tall and long at the plant. high plant. then drive my chest, deep swing to top hand. thanks Kirk the blocking thing how could i fix that. at the plant my bottom should be at cheek but over my head and broken?

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:17 am

Havocd12 wrote: ok so break the arm, a little or alot? Ok i understand what you said about the body posture. So i want to be tall and long at the plant. high plant. then drive my chest, deep swing to top hand. ...

:yes: You got it! Maybe if you said "then drive my chest and let my top arm take all the weight of the pole to start the bend, then deep swing to top hand" it would be more correct.

Havocd12 wrote:... the blocking thing how could i fix that. at the plant my bottom should be at cheek but over my head and broken?

In the few minutes I have this morning to reply, I don't think I can describe that much ... maybe someone else can that's been there and done that ... but essentially, you need to feel that the pressure of hanging from the top hand is all you need to bend the pole. Once you feel that, and once you understand that pressing up with the bottom hand is counter-productive, you'll start focussing on that.

How? That's a much longer story, which will involve examples of vids of elites, etc. A lot is already documented on PVP if you search for it, and I have nothing new to offer, other than to repeat many other posts about it. Perhaps search for "kirk feofanova" and you'll find my comments re the "Is Pushing with the Bottom Arm Good or Bad?" thread.

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”