Approach Run/Hand above my head

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Approach Run/Hand above my head

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:28 pm

There is no such thing as a vault with a perfectly free pole drop. Altius adressed this before on here...

Perhaps I mispoke about the CoM, or I was just equivocating. The goal should be to strike the ground with the same relative position to the CoM as one does when sprinting normally... This will ALWAYS be out in front of your original CoM during a vault.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:51 pm

KirkB wrote: Optimally, the pole is balanced directly above where the CoM would normally be without a pole ... so that the weight of the pole DOESN'T shift the CoM. :idea: This becomes more and more important as you get closer and closer to the box.

powerplant42 wrote:There is no such thing as a vault with a perfectly free pole drop. Altius adressed this before on here...

As Golfdane alludes to, you must also consider the effect of acceleration on a perfectly balanced pole ... you can't just look at the CoM in each individual frame of a vid.

The reason I mentioned that "This becomes more and more important as you get closer and closer to the box." is becuz you DON'T want to have a "perfectly free pole drop" for your entire run ... but as your acceleration approaches zero and as you get near the box and focus on your plant/jump, the less weight you feel hanging out in front of you, the more efficient your vault will feel ... and be.

With all due respect to Altius, he's studied the same physics books as the rest of us ... and he puts his pants on the same as the rest of us ... but he has never FELT a "weightless pole drop" ... in a sanctioned meet. Just becuz Altius says something doesn't make it so.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:34 pm

Fair enough for the time being... But I think we're beginning to stretch the scope of this forum and thread. ;)
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:14 pm

:yes: ;)
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 pm

KirkB wrote:With all due respect to Altius, he's studied the same physics books as the rest of us ... and he puts his pants on the same as the rest of us ...

Kirk

Actually, I've heard, that it's Chuck Norris that pulls Altius' pants up AND buttons them :D

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”