Running Technique

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

kazram1021
PV Newbie

Running Technique

Unread postby kazram1021 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:13 pm

Hey everyone, I'm moderately new to vaulting and I haven't been able to excel past 9 feet because of a really weird running form that causes intense shin splints

I attached some pictures of my foot's impact while running a really easy approach from two steps

Could anyone tell me how I can fix this? I really want to continue to excel in the pole vault but this running problem isn't letting me

yankee814
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Hooker

Re: Running Technique

Unread postby yankee814 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:01 am

although I'm relatively new at the pole vault also...

I can help you with your running. Start doing drills (A Skips, B Skips, C Skips, Frankenstein Walk, High Knees, etc.) search them on youtube to find out exactly the way to do them. They will help you get your knees up and in and make all your strides about the same length
Sophomore 2nd year Vaulter

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:11 am

Hello,

If it's possible, could you get a video of your pole vault run-up as well as your regular run and sprint (no pole). It can be quite difficult to diagnose a problem in its entirety from these pictures. Basically, the more you can give us, the more we can help.

I would say that you are favoring one side of your body to compensate for carrying the pole but this is just a guess. I would like to see a video of your regular running technique as well as your PV run-up to compare. There are two big domains I'm looking at here:

Either:
1) You've got a very strange running style
or
2) You're uncomfortable with carrying/dropping/planting the pole and it's severely affecting your running
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 pm

Kazram, do you know if you walk correctly? (Serious question...)
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”