Rowing Through

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Ajw118
PV Fan
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter - Class of 2011

Rowing Through

Unread postby Ajw118 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:34 pm

Hey everyone,
Okay, so imagine you have just jumped up and your right hand is above your head and your left hand is out in front of you. Now, do you want to keep it straight out and use it to pull yourself up on the pole while your right hand stays still, or do you want to use push your right arm and left arm out and up and into a semi circle towards your hip?

Thanks,
A.J.
P.S. Your tips helped me clear 8'6" and just miss on 9'6"! That's pretty good for me!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Rowing Through

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:45 pm

"Push squeeze", no rowing. Your arms shouldn't be doing very much after you take off (at least until you start to extend well). You can figure out why rowing is a bad thing if you go try it on the high bar! :idea:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Ajw118
PV Fan
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter - Class of 2011

Unread postby Ajw118 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:35 pm

What do you mean by "push squeeze"? Should i just keep trying to keep my arms extended and kicking up with my legs and then finally rowing back?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:06 pm

PUSH the pole toward the plane of the bar, SQUEEZE with the top hand, but DO NOT PULL/ROW! You should SWING your trail-leg in a LONG (but QUICK) pendular motion. Until you can do that well, don't worry so much about what comes afterward, just SHOOT the HIPS up over the bar as well as you can, and then simply turn over. :yes:

You'll start to need to use your arms more when you can shoot your hips up past your hands. Only THEN does there need to be any real pulling with the arms. As the hips pass the hands, pull, turn, push off the pole, and fly away over the bar. Shoot me a PM, I can help you out a lot more that way. :)
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”