How to Swing With Bending Pole?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

polevault23
PV Newbie

How to Swing With Bending Pole?

Unread postby polevault23 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 163
Length and weight rating of pole you are using now: 13' 3" 165 lbs.
How high you are gripping on that pole: About 12' 8"
Where you have your standards: 75 to 80
How long you have been vaulting: January 2009.

When I vault, as soon as the pole starts to bend I pick up my trail leg and start to curl up, which makes me go out rather than up. When I do drills on a stiff pole I swing fine, and I even use rings, which I do well. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get the swing down with a bending pole.

yankee814
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Hooker

Re: How to Swing With Bending Pole?

Unread postby yankee814 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:05 pm

I've been told to keep a straight back trail leg and then to kick down the heel in order to gain momentum to swing up
Sophomore 2nd year Vaulter

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: How to Swing With Bending Pole?

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:07 pm

yankee814 wrote:I've been told to keep a straight back trail leg and then to kick down the heel in order to gain momentum to swing up

It's more than kicking down the heel ... it's swinging the entire trail leg. Focus your mind on the muscles in your lower back and thigh that will do the work during your downswing ... not on your heel.

I doubt that your swings on the rings are done very well. Even if they are, there's always plenty of room for improvement.

Once you figure this out on rings and/or highbar, it shouldn't feel any different ... whether the pole bends or not.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”