Reaching on my last step

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Anthony44
PV Newbie

Reaching on my last step

Unread postby Anthony44 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi, this year is my first year pole vaulting and I seem to have a serious issue with reaching on my last step. I manage to keep a rhythmic run that stays the same reach run and I can even do a run through without reaching and my step is on. However, when I go and try to plant on my long run which is a 5 step currently, I always reach alot on the last step some reason. I've been told that my step would be on if i didn't reach on the last step. Can you guys tell me how to fix this issue please?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Reaching on my last step

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:44 am

Where are you gripping? You are almost definitely 'out' behind your midmark... I expect dj will be all over this one! ;) But we need to know where you're gripping.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: Reaching on my last step

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:28 pm

Ill tell ya man, this is something you can struggle with your whole career. Im a college vaulter and have SERIOUS issues with this at the moment. It stems from feeling like you have more power by taking a big last step, or from feeling like you are outside your mark. So ill let you things i am currently doing to try to fix it:

Like you said, you do it well when you just run through. Do tons of Pole Runs and put an imaginary box (tape or a shirt) down, then measure your step back. Execute your pole run with the same mentality that you do your actual vault. Really try and think you are jumping. See if you can fix it there. Make sure you RELAX and turn over quickly your last 4 strides.

Do a 5-step pop up, holding only about 1 1/2 feet higher than you can reach with your top hand (around 8 1/2 feet for a 5'6" vaulter) so that you dont have to worry about making pit. Start with sliding the pole on the ground if you like, but your focus needs to be your run cadence. Start out easy, then accelerate into your last 3 steps. Dont even worry about speed, its about control and quickness at take off, try leaving the ground before the pole even hits the back. your last step can then be set up to be right underneath your body. Once you are doing this (get your coach to confirm you arent reaching), slowly raise your grip. Take this mentality and run your step back on a real 4 or 5 step. hold LOW and focus on your cadence once again. As long as your cadence is good, and you arent reaching, move your grip slightly higher. But if you start going back to old habits, lower your grip again and fix it.

This is a tough one to fix, but if you start the right habits now, especially as a 1st year vaulter, you will save yourself tons of headaches later! Anymore questions let me know, good luck!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”