going sideways..

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

gvvault
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12ft

Re: going sideways..

Unread postby gvvault » Sun May 24, 2009 4:48 pm

yoboe wrote:hello, so ive been pole vaulting for like a little under a month, pretty low key-ish. so last week i got really confident in bending the pole, and i guess i bend it a lot or so ive been told. however, i feel like after it bends it never really streightens out again, and on friday i was getting up but not going forward, so today i added a step to my run and it felt good for like 2 vaults, then i started getting flung to the left (i vault leftie) and i dont know why. it stinks cause i look really funny and come very close to hitting the standards...
sooo, any idea why this is happening?? i want to get a video soon if that would help.
one more thing, its a 130 pole and i wheigh around 121-123

Ok, in my opinion, until you've been jumping on a COMPLETELY stiff pole for a season (2-3 months), you shouldn't even TOUCH a bending pole. Beginners are always obsessed with bending the pole, but having good technique will get you higher than a big bend.

After A LOT of stiff pole vaulting and you've gotten a good takeoff, run, and swing, you can introduce a slight bend and progress from there.

The reason you go to the side is probably because you plant to the side. Doing a lot of three step drills will get you a solid take off and also fix your planting issue.

yoboe
PV Beginner

Unread postby yoboe » Fri May 29, 2009 3:47 pm

yea when said u.s. i really meant nfhs :D

xjoeyx
PV Whiz
Expertise: Current College Vaulter, BIG FAN
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby xjoeyx » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:11 pm

im gonna kinda follow a little on what pp and gvvault said.

doing 3 step drills really help trust me. This is my first season and most of my practice is spent doing 3 step vaults until i can do the drills well enough to move back. when i do these drills i put the standards on 30 which i guess is 80 cm im not sure i know its as far back as its allowed to go haha. and ive gotten to the point where i can clear 8'6 like that without touching the bar/bungee. I used a stiff pole (well it was stiff for me haha :P ) during my school season and now that im on club season the only available poles are a little more flexible than what i used and i am getting bend but doing these drills pretty much at least an hour a day for an entire season and still doing them has helped me a lot. So use a stiffer pole and do the 3 step drills. you can find some pretty good ones on the search and if you have trouble or dont know which ones would be most helpful go to powerplant. That guy knows what hes talking about :yes:
"You can have confidence without success but you can't have success without confidence"

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”