mens pole

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

jorlando
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: sergei bubka

mens pole

Unread postby jorlando » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:54 pm

I was wondering what kind of pole should i get i am a sophomore first year pole vaulter who's PR is 10ft thanks for the help

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: mens pole

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:14 pm

You should get one that's appropriate for your weight and maximum gripping ability, neither of which we know... And I'm betting that if your school has any poles, one will be just fine for you. What's already in your inventory?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

jorlando
PV Newbie

Unread postby jorlando » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:27 pm

well my pole broke cause of a missed plant but it was a pacer mystic 150w and 12' and that was the only one that was the right size and weight for me i weight 146 so im not sure if there getting new ones or not but i want to know what kind i should get just in case.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:52 pm

I can't imagine how a "missed plant" could break a pole. :confused:

What other poles are available to you? This is important to know.

If there are any bigger poles in your school's stock, you'd do well to use them for a while. You should be stiff poling much more than "flex poling" at this stage any way. :idea:

jorlando
PV Newbie

Unread postby jorlando » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:57 pm

there was a gap between the run way and the mat and it when in there and i continued my jump the only other size pole is a 14'9 :( which hate 2 say it 2 big

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:18 pm

Use the 14'9" for now, and for the summer. You say it's "too big", but what does that mean? Is it too heavy for you to run with? Doubt it... What I think you mean is that it's "too big for you to bend", which is exactly what is preferrable for your technical development right now... What upcoming meets do you need a competition pole for? :confused: Are you not done with the season?

jorlando
PV Newbie

Unread postby jorlando » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:20 pm

well my season is over but i want to keep training its just i am a bit intimidated but sheer size of the pole

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:40 pm

Then it's perfect for you to train with, no? :yes:

jorlando
PV Newbie

Unread postby jorlando » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:52 pm

k thanks for the help ill use the big pole

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:53 pm

jorlando wrote:well my pole broke cause of a missed plant but it was a pacer mystic 150w and 12' and that was the only one that was the right size and weight for me i weight 146 so im not sure if there getting new ones or not but i want to know what kind i should get just in case.

Jorlando, according to JJ's flex chart http://www.skyjumpers.com/articles/relitive_resistance_chart.html, here's the poles in your size range ...
jorlando's poles.JPG
jorlando's poles.JPG (28.08 KiB) Viewed 10383 times

If you simply want to replace your 12-0 150, then you could get either that one, but since you broke it, and since you're growing and (presumably) getting stronger/faster, you might want one that's a bit stiffer. The one you broke had a "relative stiffness" of 27, so you might want to get one that's a little stiffer.

And if you were capping the 12-0, then you should consider getting a 12-6 or 13-0.

A 12-6 155, then a 13-0 160 might be the best progression for you, depending on how quickly you expect to improve.

I'm assuming that you'll want to jump in some all-comer meets this summer. If that's not the case, and your intent is to focus on stiff-pole vaulting, then any pole (such as your 14-9 log) will do. The pole needs to be right-sized for its purpose.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:36 pm

ur 146 but how tall?

also did you bend the 12 150 when you jumped 10' and how many steps did you take (lefts)

Im really fond of the 13' 155lb. That is the only real pole that my high school used and everyone on my team used it at one point and jumped from 11' to 12'6 on that pole.

We had a guy as little as 5'5 125 able to succesfuly use it and bend it fine and jump 11'6.
One guy was 5'9 160 (yes I know it was illegal) and he jumped 12' with it (we only gave him 4 lefts)
One more guy that was about 6'2 150 that jumped 11' ( he was most unathletic guy i have ever seen and could barely walk down the runway but was tall enought to hold at top and sling his feet over 11')
and I was like 5'5 135 and could get 12'6 with that pole.

but nothing can really be told without really knowing all of your stats

also what is the Height and WEIGHT rating of all of your poles. You said 14'9 but if its like a 135 then thats big diffrence than if it were a 180

jorlando
PV Newbie

Unread postby jorlando » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:43 pm

the 14'9 is a 140 pole
but i am 5'7 and i bent the pole alot i reached 10 using an 11'6 pole i was holding at the top and had 7 lefts my school hasnt had a decent vaulter since the 80's so we dont have many poles so if that information helps thanks

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”