fix the helicopter problem

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

coachknight
PV Beginner

fix the helicopter problem

Unread postby coachknight » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:04 pm

i have a young vaulter that does a helicopter spin after he releases the pole. I have never had this happen in all my years of coaching track. What is the cause of the problem? how do you fix it? Ive tried everything I know. help!!!!!!

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Re: fix the helicopter problem

Unread postby souleman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Coach,
Can you get us a video? There are many moves that I personally and I'm sure others do as well call helicoptering. Rather than taking a guess at what your vaulter is doing it would be great to see it. Then we can nail down what we would perceive is the cause and make suggestions as how to fix it. Later...........Mike

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:25 pm

It is actually quite easy to fix, Ive seen a lot of people do it. I am guessing they are still in the straight pole phase of their career and if they are not, you should put them back in it.

But take them over to the grass and have them do some vaulting in the grass holding about a foot over their maximum reach. Just like 1 or two lefts with the pole starting on their shoulder so they don't have to worry about dropping it. Have them go through motion of vault by jumping up, letting pole tip hit grass, then riding pole back to the ground. You should never let a vaulter onto the mats until they can do this drill and get the pole to fall forwards with their body staying straight and not spinning or falling to the side.

Once they can do this have them do the same thing at the pit with a slightly higher grip. Then take a bungey and put it at like 6'. Have the athlete do the drill but this time have them just pick their feet up and turn left and go over the bungey. They need to be at a grip where they can run comfortably and not look like they are hauling tail down the runway trying to attack the pit. Just keep drilling into their head: run, jump, turn left!

You just need it to be really relaxed. I think the biggest cause of the helicopter is you get a new kid that trys to run too fast for their level, plants the pole wrong, Then tries to swing upside down and flail around wildly.

ps. I was working with a decathlete today that has/had the same problem, and I used the exact same method I told you and it went away almost instantly! The only time he would still do it is if he got too hyped up and tried to run too hard and just flailed around. You just have to remind them to keep good body control.

coachknight
PV Beginner

Unread postby coachknight » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks vaultpurple, basically he needs to start him over? he is very fast down the run way, and seems to be a bit out of control. i have seen other kids tuck and spin sideways but i have never delt with this before. We spend a lot of time on grass and in the sand pit before moving to the mats. He is a freshman, and a second year vaulter. Thanks for the advice!!!!!!

starkey480
PV Whiz
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby starkey480 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:38 pm

also i have seen kids helicopter because they are blocking their bottom arm and when they try and turn over the energy forces them to helicopter. does he block it out ?

coachknight
PV Beginner

Unread postby coachknight » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:05 am

No, he does not block the bottom arm. Yesterday we vaulted on grass, then sand pit, put he bungee on 6 feet and slowly worked up to 8 ft. His vaulting was better at times, but it seems as if he can not control his body in the air completely. we are only working 4 lefts. we will continue to work and try to overcome this problem. Any other help on this subject will be appreciated.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:50 am

coachknight wrote:No, he does not block the bottom arm. Yesterday we vaulted on grass, then sand pit, put he bungee on 6 feet and slowly worked up to 8 ft. His vaulting was better at times, but it seems as if he can not control his body in the air completely. we are only working 4 lefts. we will continue to work and try to overcome this problem. Any other help on this subject will be appreciated.

Keeping him to a short run is a good idea, as it will only grow worse and possibly more dangerous from a longer run.

Does he lack core strength?

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:15 pm

Does he "hook" the pole with his bottom arm elbow?

- master

coachknight
PV Beginner

Unread postby coachknight » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:43 pm

Rainbowgirl28, this kid has great core strength, he is only in the 9th grade but he is an outstanding athlete and involved in many sports. Master what do you mean by hooking the pole?

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:04 am

As a vaulter on a pole that does not bend passes by the pole, the pole is to the left side (for a right handed vaulter). As the vaulter swings his feet and body up in the direction of the pit, they pass the pole. But if the vaulter does not specifically learn to direct his left elbow to the side of the pole that the vaulter's body is on, the pole ends up in the left armpit. If there is still some forward momentum of the body, it will get redirected to swing around the pole. This is sometimes called helicoptering.

- master

coachknight
PV Beginner

Unread postby coachknight » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Master, I was able to take a close look and he is not hooking his with his elbow. I started him over with grass vaulting, sand pit and slowly worked the bungee from 5 feet untill 8 feet. Each time i have asked him to swing up and turn and land on his feet. He has a hard time doing that, he can not land on his feet, I think that he lacks body control. At 8-6 the helicopter spin came back. We will keep working, its hard for me because he is such a good athlete and I have never had this problem occur.

PVR
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby PVR » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:36 pm

Make sure he is not bending the top arm at the beginning of his swing.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”