Getting inverted

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

km9
PV Newbie
Lifetime Best: 9'2"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Getting inverted

Unread postby km9 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:59 pm

Hey! I am a second year vaulter. My PR is 9'2" but i know i can clear more! I am a former high level gymnast, but am having serious problems getting fully upsidedown. My body just isn't doing it :-(

Tips?

yankee814
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Hooker

Re: Getting inverted

Unread postby yankee814 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:04 am

definitely high bar drills, they are so similar to gymnastics but help you get more of a feel for the actual feeling of being inverted on the pole

I'm sure you've done most of these before:
http://www.polevaultpower.com/media/video/skillsanddrills/

Also just doing 3 step drills where you use a long trail leg to just get inverted against the pole really helps to simulate the full vault :yes:
Sophomore 2nd year Vaulter

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:14 am

km9 wrote:Hey! I am a second year vaulter. My PR is 9'2" but i know i can clear more! I am a former high level gymnast, but am having serious problems getting fully upsidedown. My body just isn't doing it :-(

Tips?

Do you have any video? I am sure as a former good gymnast that you have more than enough strength to get upside down, it is probably problems in your run and takeoff that are making it difficult for you.

km9
PV Newbie

Unread postby km9 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:07 am

Unfortunately I do not have a video yet. I know I am having trouble planting a few steps too early. How is this fixed? Also, I am a left handed vaulter

MattM
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby MattM » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:01 pm

I am having trouble planting a few steps too early. How is this fixed?

Go away from the pit onto the track or grass and do a lot of planting drills with your coach watching you, the more you do them correctly over here, the better it will carry over into your full approach.

Before you get into the inversion, you must know that you can't substitute anything into technique to make it easier. For example, tucking into a ball will make you be able to get inverted easier, but it's a bad habit and won't help in the long run. That being said, make sure that there's not something in the earlier stages of the vault that's stopping you from getting inverted. Have a nice high plant, steps are on, good speed into the run, nice straight trail leg, a good swing, and then the inversion should come naturally. What should help is setting a bungee at a height a few feet above my PR then trying to kick it. Once you're able to kick it, then move it up another six inches.

If you could upload a video of you vaulting then it would help so we can see better what you're doing and where you're at. :)

km9
PV Newbie

Unread postby km9 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:29 am

I will try and upload a video soon. I am still having trouble with the plant. I am dropping my pole way to early and taking a few steps with it above my head...can't seem to figure out how to drop the pole later.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”