Quick Tips?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

andy94566
PV Whiz
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'8"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Walker, Johnson, Miles

Quick Tips?

Unread postby andy94566 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:56 am

So my PR so far is a low 7'6 and I have another meet coming up this Thursday. I really want to get at least 8'6 that day and I was wondering if anyone has tips that would let me vault higher? My biggest problem is that I don't have that figure "4" when taking off, not turning, and not bending the pole. ANy advice greatly appreciated.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Re: Quick Tips?

Unread postby vaultmd » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:12 am

Here's my tips:

1. There is no shortcut to experience.

2. Remember that gravity never takes time off - not even a nanosecond

3. Don't think you can handle a bending pole until you can vault 10'6" on a straight one (assuming you are a guy).

4. For your chalk container use something with a screw-on cap.

5. Your first priority should always be to land on the pit. If you are too distractible to remember that one, you probably shouldn't be a pole vaulter.

6. Learn to take off in a sand pit.

7. Gravity beats positive thinking (i.e.: you are not Peter Pan).

8. Consistency and balance on the runway trumps speed when you learning. And don't let your pole carry throw your balance off.

9. If you can't do it slow, you probably can't do it fast. (Short run vaults are your friend)

10. Own your own NFHS rule book. They are only a few bucks.

MattM
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby MattM » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:30 pm

You're not supposed to bend the pole when you're only going 7'6, it would be BAD if you did. Work on the first part of your vault before you even think about bending the pole.

Here's my tips:

1. Make sure you have a nice fast run with good cadence, and the fastest part of your vault should be your take-off.

2. Watch your pole carry, if you're going 7'6 then you should only be running from a 3-5 stride at most, don't start with the pole too high.

3. Have a good plant, not too early not too late.

4. Always make sure you're planting on, not under.

5. Have a nice, tall plant. Your legs shouldn't be sinking down for you to be able to jump up. Also keep in mind to have your hands up high, like you're reaching up as high as you can when you plant, not tucked in by your head.

6. Have a good knee drive

7. Have a nice, straight swing

You should only focus on aspects of your vault up to your swing right now, focusing on the rest of your vault won't help if you don't have the basics down.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 pm

OK young man, it's time for a talk. First of all I am admiring your passion to this event and your desire to be better. On the other hand I have seen many suggestions made by us on the forum in direct response to your posts that I'm getting the feeling that you're not reading. Every question you ask is basically a spin off of your original post. The guys on this thread have basically nailed it with their responses. THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS! Furthermore, forget anyone ever mentioned the word "figure 4" to you. Being able to do it will not help you jump any higher. What will help is concentrating on a strong knee drive. Once again, seeing that this is your first year, and you are jumping 7' 6", there are many more technical things you need to work on..........shoot.......you need to work on the whole event.Step by step. So, to start, go back to your original thread and click on the Dave Butler video watch it and do it and comment on your progress on that thread. We will all be interested to see how you are applying the information. In closing, those of us who respond to questions on the forum enjoy it because it helps the vaulting community and hopefully creates better vaulters. We (at least me anyway) sooner or later will give up on someone who won't listen to us and at least try to put in place what we suggest. Once again, There are no short cuts, no magic bullets. The only way to do this event is to "do the event". You can't wish it into place. You have to walk before you can run. If you're not willing to start at the beginning and master one thing at a time then maybe you should consider another event. It would be a shame to lose you.........and your apparent passion. ..............Later.............Mike

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”