keeping bottom arm inside the pole

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Doitforthelulz
PV Beginner
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

keeping bottom arm inside the pole

Unread postby Doitforthelulz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Any advice or drills to do it?

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Re: keeping bottom arm inside the pole

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:46 pm

You don't want the arm on the inside of the pole to start off.... So don't train it.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Doitforthelulz
PV Beginner

Unread postby Doitforthelulz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:20 pm

Then how do i properly turn and get inverted when I'm blocking myself?

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:31 pm

Doitforthelulz
PV Beginner

Unread postby Doitforthelulz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:46 pm

I'm confused, so the bottom arm always breaks to the outside when stiff vaulting then when you drop your shoulders you move the bottom arm to the inside? What about when you're bending a pole that you can't plant vertically, your bottom arms goes against the pole and you pull it in when your finishing your swing? And for a pole you plant over your head your bottom arm blocking isn't a problem, right?

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:03 am

Doitforthelulz wrote:I'm confused, so the bottom arm always breaks to the outside when stiff vaulting then when you drop your shoulders you move the bottom arm to the inside? What about when you're bending a pole that you can't plant vertically, your bottom arms goes against the pole and you pull it in when your finishing your swing? And for a pole you plant over your head your bottom arm blocking isn't a problem, right?

Lets simplify, straight poling and bending are very simular... The arms push up before the tip hits and from the side should appear nearly straight (even though if you plant in the middle of your body the left elbow will start flexing out). Once the pole hits the back of the box then you drive your chest, squeeze your posterior, until you feel a complete stretch. From there you begin your swing. Whether the pole bends depends on your grip height, mass, and speed at takeoff.
Why putting the elbow to the inside is bad is because it teaches you to plant low and block off. Blocking is bad because it prevents your body being stretched and causes the swing prematurely. The body being stretched back allows the pole to start penetrating before the swing starts, there is only one way to do this and that is to allow all of the pressure to go into the top hand and have the top arm and trail leg move as far back (naturally) as possible. This allows the pole to start penetrating forward before the swing starts.= greater penetration and a stretched position to swing from, which also aids in pole rotation.

Doitforthelulz
PV Beginner

Unread postby Doitforthelulz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:26 am

My right elbow(left handed) flexes out too much my coach says, do you think this is because im always under?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDQ7cP8zEhg
Thats a video of me vaulting a month ago, is being under like that ruining my swing and making my elbow go so far out?

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:46 am

Well being under doesn't allow you to get felly extended before takeoff, so yes thats part of it... For the other part go to the pvdevelopment forum and watch the david butler video. You don't extend through the shoulder with your bottom arm, and your hugging the pole way too early. Eventually you have to pull with the left arm and flex in the wrist to get the elbow to the inside.

Doitforthelulz
PV Beginner

Unread postby Doitforthelulz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:00 am

Is this the video?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 052593028#

Just watched it and I must of learned a thousand new things

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:49 am

Bingo! That's the video. Also, (per your video) quit looking at the crossbar. Keep head neutral so during the swing your eyes will go up. Find the top of the pole without throwing your head back. Remember, where your eyes go, so does your body. The arm in - arm out thing should not be your focus right now. Work on the stuff on coach Butlers video. I'm sure you will see a vast improvement. Work on your run posture as well. Tall run, tall knees, tall plant, better heights. Later.............
Mike

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”