Getting inverted / turn

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Jay
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Getting inverted / turn

Unread postby Jay » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:04 pm

Today in practice i was clearing a 9' bungee from 5 lefts. the invert and turn are no where to be found, i sorta helicopter over or 'slide glide'. i know i can get atleast 9'6 from 5 steps but i need to learn to get inverted and turn. without a bar/ bungee up i have no problem kicking my feet up and landing on my back/neck. Ive never really learned the turn but i know it will help me significantly. it will also give me more confidence which could turn into more pring

So, my question is:

What can I do to insure a good invert / turn?
What drills help the turn specifically?

Thanks for your help

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Getting inverted / turn

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:38 pm

Don't worry about the top half of your vault yet. You can easily go 10-11' with your present technique (or lack of technique).

Once you get the run/plant/takeoff/swing down a little better, the top half will come on its own. In fact, it's the improvements in the run/plant/takeoff/swing that are going to get you over 10-11' - not anything up top.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Jay
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Jay » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:39 pm

I am holding at about 11'6 from 6 lefts. My previous coach said everything was pretty good but he wasnt their today and today was the first time ive vaulted since the indoor season (atleast a month or so ago). I noticed im bringing my hands into my body when i take off. Referring to David butlers video, im not leaving enough space between the pole and my head. Any drills to help me keep my arms out? It's hard to explain but im bringing my body into the pole and i think that is deff hurting my jump.

Any other basic common mistakes you can point out to me so i can make sure i'm doing the little things right? And how to fix it.

ps i know this is important but since it was the first day i wasnt really focusing on driving my knee. what positive things happen when i drive my knee? I know its a necessity but i was just trying to get the feel for things back

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:06 pm

Be sure your plant is "square". What I mean by this is your shoulders need to be square with the box. If you can get a video of your plant action you may find that your right shoulder is behind your left during the plant. That will cause you to twist at take off and thus "helicopter". As to going into "pole hugger" mode, you probably are taking off under or too close to the box. Working off DJ's mid mark chart and focusing on the correct grip for take off point based on the correct run from 6 steps out will bring that more into line. Keep in mind, you should be able to clear 9 feet with a grip of 10' 6" from the bottom of the pole. Because you are gripping at 11' 6" a lot of things are going wrong if all you are clearing is 9'. The take off point for an 11'6" grip by the way is 8' 4" from the back board. So if you're taking off at 7 or 7' 6" gripping at 11'6', you're way under. It's all on the chart. Kirk is so right about the top end of the jump for now. Get the run/ plant/ and take off sequence down (and by the numbers) and you'll find solutions to many of your technique inadequacies. Good luck to you and keep working hard. Later..........................Mike

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”