Take off help

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

andy94566
PV Whiz
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'8"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Walker, Johnson, Miles

Take off help

Unread postby andy94566 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:58 pm

Just came back from practice going 5 lefts with the bungee up 8' 6". I can get over it fine but my coach says that my take off form needs work. For example, when I take off, my trail leg is definately not straight, it's bent at a weird angle. And also, my right knee drive is non-existent. What can I do, in terms of drills, mental exercises, or any of that sort, in order to remember to keep my trail leg straight and my drive knee up. I also have another question. When I jump, my coach told me to think about almost jumping in order to push the pole towards the back of the pit. But I'm still confused on that. Also, is there any drills or exercises I can do to help me swing harder, stronger, faster, and deeper? By deeper I mean swinging all the way back, not stopping half way. Thanks

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Re: Take off help

Unread postby souleman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:22 pm

All of this just comes with time and work Andy. All of the drills that you already know (or should know because of Dave Butlers video) are your ticket to jumping better and higher. I'm sure that I'm sure you've watched the video many times,.......Right? You can't just do the drill once or twice and expect it to do the trick. Watch the video again and pick out how many and how often Isi does the walking plant drill.(coach Butler will mention drill frequency in his narration). We're talking thousands of repetitions. Once again you're talking about 8' 6" jumps. Where is your grip? Where is your take off point? Where is your 6 step mid mark? I'll tell you so you don't have to go to the chart (that once again I know you have found and printed out......Right)? For 8' 6" your grip should be 10' 2" from the bottom of the pole. Your 6 step mid point should be at 34' and your take off point should be at 7' to 7'6" from the back of the box. If none of these numbers match what you're doing now then nothing you can do will help you jump better. Remember the "links in the chain". The run plant and takeoff at this point for you are the most important "links" to concentrate on. You have to have these links down before moving forward. Once you have them to a point of consistency you'll be amazed how quickly the other links will hook up in your jump. Keep working at it................Later..................Mike

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”