how high on a 10'8 pole?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

katiesuisse
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

how high on a 10'8 pole?

Unread postby katiesuisse » Sat May 01, 2010 11:21 pm

i have a 120, 10'8 .... my coach moved me down, since i can bend this smaller pole. anyways, if i work all the kinks out, whats a general max height on this size pole?
-- thanks (:

katiesuisse
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6

Re: how high on a 10'8 pole?

Unread postby katiesuisse » Sat May 01, 2010 11:24 pm

plus-- i have pretty much "learned" how to vault with a stiff pole. what are some tips for getting inverted on the bent pole?

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sun May 02, 2010 8:56 am

According to the mid mark chart a 10' 6" grip should produce a 9 foot jump. A 10' 10" grip should produce a 9' 6" jump. I have two guys that on short run stiff pole jumps can "beat the chart" by one and two grips respectively. What this means is they can hold at 11' 8" on a 12 foot pole (the grip for an 11 foot jump) and one can make 11' 6" and the other 12 feet. As I said this is short run stuff where the emphasis on the exercise is to jump up at take off and swing fast. As to getting on a bending pole, if done properly the bend will happen if technique is correct. (See the many threads regarding bending a pole). As with everything else in pole vaulting, advances are done in small increments. If you have a 12 foot pole that's weight rated for you, hold where you are holding now and jump with it a few times till you are comfortable with it. Then adjust steps (per the chart) to move up a couple of fingers at a time. As you move up, the pole will start to bend a little more with each progression therefore allowing you a gradual build up and comfort level for a pole that bends more. Most important is the events that take place before you leave the ground. Proper run up, pole drop (most kids I see start the pole drop too late) tall plant, and a good jump up (take off) with good drive knee sets up the next portion of the jump which is the gymnastics part of the jump. Keep concentrating on the basics that you have learned on the stiff pole jumping you've been doing. As you improve the technique the bend will come and your jumps will get higher. It's almost a "chicken and egg" deal. Good luck..............Mike

CAhighvaultage
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter, Aspiring College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Bjorn Otto

Unread postby CAhighvaultage » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:57 am

From what I have heard, you should be able to vault about 12-15 inches above your top hand hold but there are many vaulters out there who can vault much more than 15 inches over their top hand hold. So you should be able to vault about 11'8"- 11'11"
Lefty vaulters...yes...we are special.

Manche führen...manche folgen...ich führen.

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Unread postby coachjvinson » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:26 am

CAhighvaultage wrote:From what I have heard, you should be able to vault about 12-15 inches above your top hand hold but there are many vaulters out there who can vault much more than 15 inches over their top hand hold. So you should be able to vault about 11'8"- 11'11"

For the pole and grip in question, this is probably not a practical outcome or expectation - soul man has it right on the money...
PURSUITOF2016

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:00 am

I think about 9', maybe 9'6 is about the highest I've coached on a 10'8 pole. You need a girl that is somewhat short and not real fast, otherwise they just overpower it pretty quickly.

But that's not really very important. A 10'8 pole is a useful pole for beginners. As you improve you will probably be on bigger poles and going even higher!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:41 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote: . As you improve you will probably be on bigger poles and going even higher!

But not because you will be able to jump 12 -15" above your grip height!!! You have to be doing a LOT of things well before you start clearing bars above your grip height.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:53 pm

hye

soulman has it correct...

you do not obtain the physics, speed and plant mechanics to jump above your grip until approximately gripping 12-3

and will not reach the 12-15 inchs above grip until approximately a 13-5 grip which on average produces 14 foot vaults...

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:33 pm

by the way

you can find my chart at www.oneapproachrun.com

gives you grip to height ratio's//

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”