"fiber head"

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Hickman
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Valuter, Former High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13-2

"fiber head"

Unread postby Hickman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:10 pm

I have a Hs senior girl PR of 11, 120lbs, top hand 11'1". From a good 6 step she can hit her mark and was over a 10'6" bar in week two but she is still a fiber head in week three now. After her take off, her forehead is to the point it is touching her pole. Her gymnastics background helps her pull it off but I would really like her to stay back and not run in to the pole.
Any ideas, or drills????? If we can clean this one part up I feel she could be a 11'6", 12'0" valuter.
We use slide box, sand vaults, and grass plants, as well as short one arm approach, and full runs.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: "fiber head"

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Is she taking off under? Leaning back at takeoff? With an 11'1 grip she's certainly not going to be able to have a straight bottom arm and vault properly. I would suggest that the "fiber head" is probably just a symptom and not the actual problem, but it's hard to say without seeing video.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:23 am

Definitely emphasize a free take-off and even better a pre-jump, as well as a high top arm with a hand always moving UP UP UP!

Also emphasize a straight bottom arm ARRIVING AT TAKE-OFF FOOTSTRIKE. This will ensure that her plant is, if not on time, at least away from her face going into take-off.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:20 pm

What does she do with a stiff pole? With an 11' 1' grip she should be able to get it to vertical from a 3 left beginning at 35 feet. The good thing about a stiff pole exercise is that it will really show off flaws in technique. You might try her on that and see what happens paying attention to possible flaws in technique. This may answer/ help solve her issues. A stiff pole drill will also "show off" a possible problem with top hand force or application in the jump. What you're describing (with out a videE) sounds like what could occur if the top hand goes behind the head at take off rather than going up and then down during inversion. I tell vaulters that have this problem to pretend that I have screwed a 1" x 4" x 2' board to their forehead going straight up. My instructions are to not let the top hand touch the board or go behind it after take off. Just some musings but as Becca said, it's hard to really prescribe without a video. Later................Mike

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:52 am

Thats pretty funny. Teaching her to jump up on takeoff would help. Sand Pit, Straight pole.

Rick Baggett
Good coaching is good teaching.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”