Keeping Arms Straight?!?!

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Keeping Arms Straight?!?!

Unread postby altius » Wed May 11, 2011 2:59 am

Then I suggest you stop bothering folk with your silly notions. Remember that there are 14 year old girls who can jump higher than you. Lets see how good you are in five years time.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Wed May 11, 2011 3:59 am

Muzgar15 wrote:Look, I don't even care what you're saying anymore. I'm thinking it right I just don't know how to explain it. It works for me and i'm not a bad vaulter.

Nobody is saying you are a bad vaulter, but as Brad says in his interview, is the force applied through the top hand during the jump. Believing, that the bottom hand plays an active role in making the bend as big as possible (keeping it straight), will be detrimental for your future development as a vaulter. Through the plant, is energy applied through BOTH hands, but it shifts towards the top hand when the pole tip hits the back of the box.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1443632188931901117#

Watch it all, because there are some confusions here and there due to the translator, where details are elaborated later on in the interview. I assure you, that it's an hour well spent, if you want to understand one of the better coaches out there, and the principles that brought Bubka to 6.14m outdoors.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Wed May 11, 2011 11:29 am

Muzgar15 wrote:
Pogo Stick wrote:
For example?
Jurij doesn't count ;)

Everyone that pole vaults over 3 meters. I ment that you need to have the left arm in front of you when you plant and then keep it that way so the pole gets bent. I'm not saying that the left arm is literaly pushing forward. I haven't seen anyone jump 5 meters with their left arm behind their back. The left arm has just gotta be there to transfer the energy of the run to the pole. At least that's how I picture it.[/quote}

Everyone that vaults over 3 meters needs to keep that left arm straight? Thats really weird because I know several guys who can jump over 3 meters one handed....

There is no doubt that a straight bottom arm puts more bend in the pole. But one thing you have to learn is that bending the pole more does not mean you will jump higher!

Muzgar15
PV Fan
Expertise: 19-year old vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.11 m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Muzgar15 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:00 pm

VaultPurple wrote:
Everyone that vaults over 3 meters needs to keep that left arm straight? Thats really weird because I know several guys who can jump over 3 meters one handed....

There is no doubt that a straight bottom arm puts more bend in the pole. But one thing you have to learn is that bending the pole more does not mean you will jump higher!

Okay a wild guess about the 3 meters. I know bending the pole means that you will jump higher. If you're bending the pole more you have to be quicker on the swing, to achive the same result as you do with a harder pole.

pv161
PV Nerd
Expertise: high school/club coach, masters vaulter, former college vaulter, usatf official
Lifetime Best: 4.91

Unread postby pv161 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:03 pm

just curious about the 1 handed jumpers, is this an actual vault with a bent pole or just gripping high enough on a straight pole to ride over the bar?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:23 pm

To anyone wondering about the bottom arm bending the pole, grab a short, fairly soft pole, go from a short run, grip with a closed grip (both fists touching), and slide the pole down the runway. Once you get the run/pole/grip sorted out, put up a bungee or bar. If you get the right pole, it will bend.

jewelthefrog
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 8' 6"

Unread postby jewelthefrog » Sat May 21, 2011 3:34 pm

well, this made for QUITE an interesting read! haha you guys are so funny when you argue...... but thanks for the help!!!! I'll get 9 feet next year so oh well :)

dnike13
PV Wannabe

Unread postby dnike13 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:17 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:To anyone wondering about the bottom arm bending the pole, grab a short, fairly soft pole, go from a short run, grip with a closed grip (both fists touching), and slide the pole down the runway. Once you get the run/pole/grip sorted out, put up a bungee or bar. If you get the right pole, it will bend.

http://mcrecord.com/archives/486115/pol ... g-gravity/

Even though he only jumped 6', still pretty amazing for a freshman..... with one arm. Wish I could find some video out there to further prove the point.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”