Looking at the Bar

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Pablot585
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Looking at the Bar

Unread postby Pablot585 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:08 pm

I have trouble when I'm jumping looking at the bar, and because of this, my coach says I'm having trouble getting my hips up and all the way back. I am constantly looking at the bar (and even my feet during swing-up drills) and due to not being able to get all the way back am having trouble at my P.R. (10'6").

Is there any trick to keeping my head neutral or is it just through practice and not getting nervous at higher heights?
Thanks!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Looking at the Bar

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Do you ever use a bar in practice?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Pablot585
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter

Unread postby Pablot585 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:58 pm

We did about once every week or two, but I would still look at the bungee every time we used it too. Since my last post though my PR went up to 10'9" at our sectionals meet where I didn't have as big of a problem with it as flagging out.

Vault101 Boy
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'6
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Unread postby Vault101 Boy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:07 pm

This was a problem for me until about a week ago. It would happen once i was in the air and i would find myself having a late turn, and a lazy inversion. Develop a good plant, and tall take-off and you should have a strong enough swing to get you inverted where you drop your shoulders and barlocking stops happening. You'll have to make it a conscious effort as dropping the shoulders took me a good week of preparation to get it right and it wont happen naturally until you do it a couple of times.

If you're having trouble looking at it on the approach, start doing 3 step drills without looking at the box, staring straight ahead and work your way back to the long approach (this is actually a good habit to have as it prevents lowering your head and plowing in).

hope this helped

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:29 pm

look 2 feet above the bar. Aim your feet/hips at that point when you swing.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”