I just began Pole Vaulting...tips?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Silvrrose08
PV Newbie

I just began Pole Vaulting...tips?

Unread postby Silvrrose08 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:52 pm

I just started pole vaulting this year. I am a senior... yeah i know kinda lame to start...but yeah. I was a gymnast for 10 years, so hopefully that can help me somehow. But for now...I have competed in probably 5 meets including The Summit in Reno. And I have PRed every meet. Now I am at 8'6" It is good for our school... but i know its not really that high...seeing what other people have done. So can anyone help give me some drills or helpful hints to make my vaulting better? I want to at least clear 10 this year. Is that an unreasonable goal? any help would be great!
Thanks
Sarah

nolevault
PV Fan

Unread postby nolevault » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:49 am

With your gymnastic ability, 10' would be a good starting height by the end of the season. You need to work on progression from a short approach, like 4 or 6 steps and move your way back on the runway. Keep track of your numbers, run and grip height. Everytime you move back 2 steps, one takeoff step, increase your grip 4 inches. You should be clearing 10' in no time at all.
The greatest gift I ever received was the look on a young vaulters' face after setting a PR!

JMP8928
PV Pro

Unread postby JMP8928 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:24 pm

your gymnastics background is very helpfull. if I had any advice, it would be to get down to Jonesboro Arkansas and go to a camp for a weekend. I've seen someone who has never pole vaulted before jump 9 feet after 3 days. (he was a gymnist)

good luck this season!

www.bellathletics.com. Check it out!

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:28 am

Yeah, gymnasts are very successful vaulters. Since you'll probably have the speed and the rock-back ability down, working on pushing off the top of your pole might be something to work on... maybe after some time though.
Pole Vaulters get high!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”