Overall technique

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Overall technique

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:06 am

I am 5ft 4 inches, and 14. I am on a 11'6" 125lb pole and gripping anywhere from 9ft to 9ft 6 inches. I can get over an 8ft bungee easily but i have a problem with pulling and turning so clearing a 7ft crossbar is difficult. Also,i tend to not run with my knees up, I try to fix it, but i cant seem to do it. I know i need to have higher knees but i try to run taller and can't seem to get it right.I can usually get almost in the upside down position but i can't finish the jump so i always fall on top of the cross bar.
Last edited by Rosie<3 on Mon May 21, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vault101 Boy
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Re: Overall technique

Unread postby Vault101 Boy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:58 pm

The key to running tall is knowing how carry the pole correctly. Professional sprinters run leaning forward right, well you're a sprinter with a 10' pole in your hands thats already putting weight in front of you. If you lean forward on top of that, you will be off balance and bending every time to compensate for the weight of the pole. The pole should be carried in an almost upright position with the tip of the pole directly above the left foot. Right hand by the hip and left hand in front of your chest. The pole drop also tends to cause vaulters to lean as they are having to compensate for more weight as the pole is lowered. Rather than leaning back to balance the weight "chase the pole", as in run faster and you will stay tall and have quick last steps in the takeoff.

On the subject of pulling... never do it. Your right arm should be straight through the entire vault. Your left arm should be close to straight and stay that way until you break the left elbow to initiate the turn after inversion. When you pull with either arm, you misuse the energy that you have transferred to the pole and you effectively slow the poles momentum, which would put you right over the bar when you let go. If you dont land in the center of the pit theres high(id say 70%) chance it has something to do with pulling.
As a high school vaulter, my advice is to learn things the right way the first time, focus on the takeoff and work your way to the top. I spend the majority of my time fixing the bottom of my run because when i have a bad takeoff my top technique suffers. Turning happens naturally if you do things right. Watch videos of Bubka, Isinbenyeva, Hooker, watch their arms and takeoff. Learn from it.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Overall technique

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:03 am

To run tall with a pole is the same as to run tall without one: footstrike occurs right underneath the center of gravity. The COG for a vaulter however, is in front of the navel. So, your run should look "out in front" so to speak, but it should FEEL balanced.

Your left arm should be close to straight and stay that way until you break the left elbow to initiate the turn after inversion.

This is good advice for someone gripping 14'ish jumping 1'+ over their grip. With a 9' grip, it is impossible to have a 'straight' left arm unless you have both hands in the same spot. There is no inversion to worry about because, well, there's probably just no inversion at all.

Run fast, tall, balanced. Plant early, tall, strong. SWIIIING long and fast and hard as you continue to try to push the pole to the bar. When you get to the bar, just turn over it and let go of the pole.

As a high school vaulter, my advice is to learn things the right way the first time, focus on the takeoff and work your way to the top. I spend the majority of my time fixing the bottom of my run because when i have a bad takeoff my top technique suffers. Turning happens naturally if you do things right. Watch videos of Bubka, Isinbenyeva, Hooker, watch their arms and takeoff. Learn from it.

THIS is good advice for everyone. Compare what you see in these jumpers with what you see in competitor's/teammates' jumps... What is common between them? What is different? What works well enough for them to jump 10', or 11', or whatever? Why is this person landing in the box? Etc.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”